Rodeo Talk about Isuzu Rodeo related topics here...

1992 Rodeo Engine Flooding

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 01:51 AM
Default 1992 Rodeo Engine Flooding

When i turn my car off and try to turn it on again it will not start, the engine floods and so i have to clamp the fuel line so it will burn all the fuel and begin to run. i had taken it into a mechanic and he was at a loss of and answer for me he said the fuel injectors were fine and were working and hes no idea where the fuel is coming from.
Does anyone have an idea of what could be happening?

Old 02-01-2010, 01:02 PM

Listen to see if you hear the fuel pump fire up for a second or two when you turn your ignition key to the ON position (not the START position). If you don't hear it come on, maybe it's because it's already stuck turned on. Not sure how it would push fuel past the injectors without the crank position sensor or other sensors telling the ECU that the engine is rotating/running, thus allowing the injectors to fire. Maybe if they become over-pressurized by the fuel pump, but the fuel pump would have to be constantly running (you would probably hear it) for an over-pressurization in the fuel line.

The injectors are the ONLY thing between then fuel pump and the cylinders though that could allow fuel to flood the engine, so my next step would be to pull the fuel rail(s) and injectors (leaving the injectors attached to the fuel rails) and see if they are leaking while the ignition key is in the OFF position. Hope that helps.

-Andrew

Old 02-01-2010, 01:14 PM

i tried that and the pump is not staying on... i believe that it is running too rich and that one of the sensors might be making it do that becuase the exhaust smells of gasoline even after it has been running for a while and if i turn my car off even for a second and try to start it, the engine will not start

Old 02-01-2010, 01:46 PM

If you're running too rich you probably have a code in the ECU (doesn't necessarily mean that you have a Check-Engine Light). If the '92s have a diagnostic port then drive to AutoZone and have them read to see if you have any codes, or pick up a code reader there for like $40 or so.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:54 PM

i looked at Kragen and autozone and they said they dont carry an OBD1 reader for my car.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:14 PM

Hmm I find that hard to believe, but maybe they don't. I did find this one on AutoZone's website though:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...equestid=20183

Not sure if the "Honda" coverage will cover the Rodeo too or not though.

There might be a way to read the codes without a code reader though. On my '92 SHO you could jump two pins on the diagnostic port with a paper-clip and it would flash the check-engine light in a sequence that provides a code number. It's not Macgyver stuff, it's the same way the code readers work, I just couldn't tell you for sure if it works on the Rodeos, though I'm pretty certain it would. Just got do some searching around and find out which pins to jump.

Last edited by MEAN GTO; 02-01-2010 at 02:20 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:09 PM

but will it work for mine since it says for Toyota, Honda and Nissan 1983-1992 and the people who work at kragen and autozone have very little knowledge about cars.. i ask them questions and they say they have no idea..
i have the manual but it shows a port that i cannot seem to find but i will look it up for more details.
Thanks

Old 02-02-2010, 09:46 PM

Yeah that's what I'm not sure about. Honda makes the Rodeo though of course, so I'd assume that they use the same ECU and diagnostic ports and all that jazz. I'd maybe just call the manufacturer of the code reader and ask them.

Old 02-15-2010, 02:26 PM

obd1 codes are read by shorting out specific terminals on the diagnositic connect area a.e. paper clip or wire and seeing how many times the light flashes OBDII can be read by the handy dandy machine. Hope this helps.