Rodeo Talk about Isuzu Rodeo related topics here...

Rattling Door Locks on 1992 Rodeo

Old 10-04-2005, 05:16 PM

Anyone had issues with rattling door locks? If so, how did you fix it? I have manual door locks.Edited by: RodeoE

Old 10-05-2005, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator

what part is rattling? something inside the door?

Old 10-05-2005, 06:58 PM

The actual **** you use to push the lock down and pull it up. It's not round like on some cars, so you can't just tighten it.

Old 12-13-2005, 10:25 PM

I also have a 92 rodeo.

I had a slightly more severe problem but it did include ratteling door locks thumb push-down thingies and a few more problems.

Here's what I did.

The symptom was that car doors would not unlock or lock unless you gave a quicksnap to the outside door handle. If you were inside the car and accidently managed toget the door lock to press down, then you'd have to roll down the window and reach out and snap the door handle so the lock could be pulled up. Crazy. And this was happening on bothdoors.

So Iremoved the inside door covering, speaker, flippy dooropener handle thing and the pull-the-door-closed hole cover.

I expected that the problem was within the key locks / tumbeler.But it turns out that it was the lower door latch that clampsonto the body of thecar when the door is shut.

Thereis this little piece of plastic in there that acts like a little hammer that locks into place when thedoor is closed. This is all on the inside of the door. Can't get to it from the outside. Anyway. WD-40 woudn't make itmove any smoother. So I did the only thing I could.

I made a little rigout of a paperclip and a rubber band that keeps thehammermoving properly when the key is turnedand when the lock is pressed down. The result is that everything is very snugand there is no more ratteling or sketchy lock/door functionality. Everything works great. Only thing is that now I have a rubberband inside my door doing all the work. I should replace it with either a spring or buy the new door latch which is around $70/ea.

It's pretty crowded inside the door and i'm not sure i could change the part myself. So a more permanent hack may be required.

Anyway. Ya...stuff is loose in your door get a rubber-band.