Trooper Talk about Isuzu Trooper related topics here...

Questions about my trooper

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 07:32 PM
Default Questions about my trooper

I own a 1988 Isuzu Trooper II. It has a rather beaten up old 2.6-liter V4 in it. I want to put in a 3.2 V6 in it or higher, i know this involves alot of remounting and engine rummeging but Im not sure how much. I know I want to get rid of the 2.6 but a 2.8 just isnt enough for me. Would the standard Tranny be able to mate with an engine higher than a 2.8? Ive already got 33" Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ's sitting in my garage waiting for when i want my Trooper to really man up but I wont touch it till I have a better engine... Eventually after the engine is done i want to install a snorkel and a grille guard. But 88 grille guards are almost impossibl to find... especially since they discontinued them... My trooper book says 1984-1991 Trooper II parts are interchangable, is ths true of brush guards too? Hope to hear from someone soon. Thanks

Old 10-25-2009, 10:48 PM
Default engine swaps

Hi, I'm new to Troopers, just got a 95, so I'm far, far from an expert. But no one seems to be answering questions so here's my take on this:

The RX-7 guys that taught me everything had a rule of thumb about engine swaps: if you have to ask, you don't want to attempt it. That is not to say this can't be done - swaps with US domestic, RWD, pre-OBD-II cars and trucks, and with various Hondas, seem to be common and include a lot of options. Maybe this is an easy task with Troopers too, but I wouldn't count on it.

With many cars trucks (again, I don't know about these yet), the best course of action is simply to sell your vehicle and upgrade to one with more power or whatever you want. I know, not what you want to hear. But when you add up all the costs of parts, the labor, the cost of aspirin or Tylenol for your headaches, and the time spent, this is an expensive proposition. If your vehicle is decent, and you sell it, you won't have to come up with too much more money to get into once that has the engine and other features you want. If your truck really is worth putting considerable money into, it is probably worth something to someone else. Save up a few bucks, sell it, buy a 98 Trooper.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:52 PM
Default Grill guards

Not sure about the grill guards, but the bodies, frames and exterior bits are usually pretty much all the same across one generation of vehicles. The same for accessories and add-ons. I'd be shocked if a grill guard for a 91 or 86 Trooper didn't fit an 88.