Trooper Talk about Isuzu Trooper related topics here...

1988 trooper ll problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 11:31 PM

I purchased a 1988 Trooper ll 4wd.It ran ok at first now I have found a few problems. It has the 4 cyl. auto in it. It skipswhen at idle then when driving the skip is not noticable. Also there are many vacuum hoses missing. I have tried looking at diagrams but I have not been able to find a good diagram that is very informational.I need better pics. White smoke comes from the exhaust when at idle. Also it now has started to run hot. I changed the thermostat but that did not solve the problem. I have a repair manual but the diagrams are hard to understand. I have checked the plugs, wires, rotor, and button. Any suggestions are gladly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Old 09-02-2008, 11:22 PM

First make sure there is no oil in your cooling system. Go online and get a new radiator for $150.00 or less, its easier then replacing the head when it cracks. Do a compression test on the motor, also check your ignition system from rotor, cap, wires, etc.

Jeff

Old 09-03-2008, 07:01 PM

I done a compression check and the # 3 was 60and the # 4 was 120 so I didn''t bother checking to see what 1 & 2 were. So I will be insearch of a good used motor with low miles. I was told a motor that has never been rebuilt is better than a rebuilt one. Any suggestions??? Thanks Jeff. Edited by: Dixietrooper

Old 09-03-2008, 07:58 PM

Depending on the milage, the motor you have in there may be your best choice. The bottom ends of these are about bullitproof. The heads are the weak point, but are relatively easy to replace. If you do a search online you can find newly cast completeheads for $500 or less. If you go either route new head or diffrent motor, a new radiator should be in your plans also. I''m doing a complete o-haul with a new head, though my original head is still usable. They''re fun vehiclesand are actually fairly inexpensive to build and maintain. I''ve a friend with 147,000 miles on one he has just kept up on the maintenance on. Jeff

Old 09-04-2008, 12:24 PM

I had someone recommend a 96-97 Rodeo 4 cyl 2.6 engine instead of trying to get another trooper engine. What do you think?? They said just swap over the electrical, intake, and injection and it all will work from the old engine to the new engine.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:37 PM

Not familiar enough to give any advice there, but it sounds good as long as it just drops in and bolts up the same. Jeff

Old 09-07-2008, 09:54 PM

Hey I have owned two Troopers, the first had about 270000 miles the curent one has 283692 on the origenal moter. I am a huge fan of the 2.8L moter. I agree with Blooper that the heads are the weekest link in this moter, also I have found that most of the time when you have that much variance on compresion it comes down to exaust valves and seats. if you are tight on money the best fix is to have a machine shopp re-build you old heads with new valves and seats and I think this willfix your compession isues. adn you should replace your radiator, you can get an aftermarket rad also from RonDavisRadiators.com

Christian-

Old 09-07-2008, 11:15 PM

Thanks for all of the tips. I appreciate all of your help. I have already found some real nice heads from http://www.cylinder-heads.com. at a great price. I just need to make sure this is what I need first. I am now looking at some radiators also. The radiators at RonDavisRadiators.com are well built radiators also. I now need to take off the heads and go from there so find out what I have to do. Thanks again.

Laura