I-Mark Talk about Isuzu I-Mark related topics here...

1988 Isuzu I-Mark engine problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 08:15 AM

Ok, I really need help now. My timing belt broke a while back. We have replaced the timing belt on the I-Mark, set the timing (checked it 3x now) and replaced the sparkplugs and wires and checked that the firing order is correct, but the engine still sounds like the timing is off or it is running on only a few cylinders or something. Any suggestions what else to check????

Old 10-15-2008, 11:16 PM

The first question I have is what engine doyou have. I''ll assume that it is the 1.5 because I beleive that the 1.6 DOHC was an ''89 only option. I''m pretty sure that the 1.5 was a zero clearance engine meaning that if your timing belt goesthe valves will contact the pistons. That being the case you very likely have physical damage done to your engine, so you might want to pull the head and make sure everything is OK.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by 89imarkrs
The first question I have is what engine doyou have. I''''ll assume that it is the 1.5 because I beleive that the 1.6 DOHC was an ''''89 only option. I''''m pretty sure that the 1.5 was a zero clearance engine meaning that if your timing belt goesthe valves will contact the pistons. That being the case you very likely have physical damage done to your engine, so you might want to pull the head and make sure everything is OK.
YES THAT IS NO DOUBT A N SOHC ENG, THE DOHC ENG WAS MADE AVAILABLE IN 6 0F 88 BUT SHOULD BE DATED AS AN 89 AND THEY WERE ALL 1.6 ENGS , NEED TO DO A COMPRESSION TEST , BUT I BET HE HAS SOME BENT VLVS, IF BY CHANCE IT IS AN DOHC ENG , I DOUBT IT WOULD BE THE VLVS , I HAVE HEARD OF VLVS GETTIGN HUNG OPEN ON THOSE ENGS WHEN THE BELT BREAKS AT VERY HI SPEEDS THE VLV S EDGES CONTACT EACH OTHER AT FULL OPENING AND CAN AND DO CHIP THE EDGES , BUT I HAVE NEVER PERSONALLY SEEN THIS HAPPEN , BUT THE 1.5 ENG IF THE BELT BROKE ALLMOS 100% GAURENTEE BENT VLV,S OR BE DANG LUCKY JERRY
< =""> <!
var SymRealOnLoad;
var SymReal;

Sym()
{
window.open = SymWinOpen;
if(SymReal != null)
SymReal();
}

SymOnLoad()
{
if(SymRealOnLoad != null)
SymRealOnLoad();
window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
SymReal = window.;
window. = Sym;
}

SymRealOnLoad = window.onload;
window.onload = SymOnLoad;

//>
</>

Old 01-06-2009, 03:58 PM

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone that gave advice about my I-Mark. Yes, I did have some bent valves, but no damage to pistons or block. I think what saved me was that the timing belt broke when I went around a corner at a low speed! My car is purring like a kitten now and I am so happy.

Old 01-06-2009, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by dpotgieter
Just wanted to say thank you to everyone that gave advice about my I-Mark. Yes, I did have some bent valves, but no damage to pistons or block. I think what saved me was that the timing belt broke when I went around a corner at a low speed! My car is purring like a kitten now and I am so happy.
GREAT , AT LEAST IT WASNT ABSOLUTELY DISSASTIROUS, , GLAD YOU GOT IT GOING, JERRY
< =""> <!
var SymRealOnLoad;
var SymReal;

Sym()
{
window.open = SymWinOpen;
if(SymReal != null)
SymReal();
}

SymOnLoad()
{
if(SymRealOnLoad != null)