Rodeo Talk about Isuzu Rodeo related topics here...

The Towing Experience

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 09:12 PM
Question The Towing Experience

A search on here helped me get some info on people towing with the Rodeo but since I'm very new to SUV's in general and even newer to Isuzu I wanted to run my plans by some of the more experienced Rodeo drivers to hopefully get some input.

The Trip: 1400 miles mostly flat but with some moderate mountain roads (East TN to Denver).

The Vehicle: 2001 with 4WD Automatic and it's immaculate and very well taken care of. When I got the inspection done before purchasing it, even the guys in the shop commented on how sound it was. It is equipped with the optional tow package.

The Trailer: I want to tow a small 5x8 trailer from uHaul. The trailer empty is 900lbs and I might add another 800lbs max (probably more like 500 but estimating high) so lets say the load is 1700lbs.

I know in theory the Rodeo can tow this no problem since it's well under the max of 4500lbs but I'm still curious what others thought. I'm also looking for is some tips (driving speeds, changing gears, power mode etc.), things to do before and after the trip to make it go smooth and even an estimated mpg if someone has pulled a similar weight (a long shot I know haha).

I've only towed things around town with an old F150 so my knowledge of towing is pretty basic and I'm pretty dumb about vehicles in general so just assume I don't know anything

Thanks guys!

Old 08-06-2010, 10:15 AM

I have a 1996 model that I just bought from my brother, so I have a little experience towing with it. So far, it has been pretty good with what we have done with it. I use mine several times a week towing a small 5x8 open trailer with a mower on it, and never have a problem. To date, the largest trailer that we have towed with it was a 14 foot tandem axle cargo trailer, but it was not aluminum like the Uhauls and we had it pretty heavily loaded (probably at or above max for the vehicle). All of our running was on flat country, and with that particular load the transmission kept kicking in and out of overdrive, so we ran it in third and kept the speed around 55. It pulled it, but thats not something I woud do on a regular basis. I would say that running with what you are talking about shouldn't be a problem. Check all of your fluids, and make sure that the trailer is connected properly and you should be okay.

Good Luck!