Rodeo Talk about Isuzu Rodeo related topics here...

95 Rodeo 4x4 not charging.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 09:43 AM
Default 95 Rodeo 4x4 not charging.

Hi. Well my girlfriend bought a Rodeo and I know absolutely nothing about them. The other day she was driving and it lost all power... Could barely even make it up our hill (gauges and cd player both lost power also) but still drove. I replaced the terminals and a brand new battery and still will start right up but lose power after a couple minutes and try to shut off, but I can keep it alive with gas. When it dies out, I try to start it back up and it won't do anything... barely enough power to use the windows. I bought a brand new alternator and put it on, it ran fine for about 15 minutes while it idled, and started doing the exact same thing. The only other thing I could think of was an external voltage regulator, but I found out that these are built into the alternator. If anybody has ANY ideas, please help. I'm extremely desperate. Thanks a lot.

Old 04-04-2009, 02:49 PM

What is the battery voltage accross the terminals when it dies?
What is the current amperage leaving the battery before and as it dies?
do the headlight dim? or are they bright when it dies?

Old 04-05-2009, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by kdfvwman
What is the battery voltage accross the terminals when it dies?
What is the current amperage leaving the battery before and as it dies?
do the headlight dim? or are they bright when it dies?
I double checked the alternator to make sure everything is hooked up right... it's pretty hard to screw up. Then I checked the voltage running and got 11.75. As soon as I removed the jump pack it died right out. I checked the voltage after it died and got 7.45. I then checked it every 30 seconds after and the battery was recharging itself. I let the battery charge up to 11.30 and went in the car to test it again. I turned the key and got no power to the head unit, tried to start it and it didn't even try to start. After I tried to start it I tested it one last time and got 9.03 out of it. Any ideas at all? Thanks a lot.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:20 PM

'nother question:

are all ground cables in place and clean/tight connections to/from battery as well as engine to chassis?

Alternator charge light on/off when running engine?

Old 04-07-2009, 08:22 AM

'nother question:

are all ground cables in place and clean/tight connections to/from battery as well as engine to chassis?

Alternator charge light on/off when running engine?

I've checked every ground and from what I can tell they're all good. And I haven't seen an alternator charge light at all so I'm guessing it's off.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:53 PM
Default Charging system

The 1995 Rodeo needs to have 4 good fuses: CB-3 ENGINE DEVICE, 15 AMP FUSE,CB-7 METER, 15 AMP FUSE IN DASH FUSE BOX ,

EB-16, MAIN 100 AMP FUSE AND EB-6 CHARGE, 10 AMPS IN ENGINE COMPARTMENT IN FUSE/RELAY BOX;...THERE IS ALSO A CHARGE RELAY WHICH MUST BE IN ORDER!

THE WIRING DIAGRAM COMES OUT OF THE HAYNED REPAIR MANUAL, PAGE 12-22,
SEND ME YOUR E MAIL ADDRESS SO THAT I CAN EMAIL YOU THIS WIRING DIAGRAM IF YOU WANT TO.

HAPPY HUNTING AND KEEP IN TOUCH.
KPFVWMAN

Old 04-08-2009, 06:05 AM

Thethanks again. 1995 Rodeo needs to have 4 good fuses: CB-3 ENGINE DEVICE, 15 AMP FUSE,CB-7 METER, 15 AMP FUSE IN DASH FUSE BOX ,

EB-16, MAIN 100 AMP FUSE AND EB-6 CHARGE, 10 AMPS IN ENGINE COMPARTMENT IN FUSE/RELAY BOX;...THERE IS ALSO A CHARGE RELAY WHICH MUST BE IN ORDER!

THE WIRING DIAGRAM COMES OUT OF THE HAYNED REPAIR MANUAL, PAGE 12-22,
SEND ME YOUR E MAIL ADDRESS SO THAT I CAN EMAIL YOU THIS WIRING DIAGRAM IF YOU WANT TO.

HAPPY HUNTING AND KEEP IN TOUCH.
KPFVWMAN

Thanks a lot. I'd really appreciate the wiring diagram. My e-mail is strungxout@hotmail.com . Thanks again.