Rodeo Talk about Isuzu Rodeo related topics here...

2001 3.2 l v6 stopped and now won't idle

Old 09-13-2015, 01:33 AM
Question 2001 3.2 l v6 stopped and now won't idle

hi am new to the forum. I have been working on my sons 2001 Holden rodeo. It is a 3.2 l v6 manual 4x4 dual cab. The problem started while he was driving for about a k from cold and the car started to die.and stall. He managed to restart it the drove another k. It then died and would not run so he towed it to home. I have Been checking the car for a couple of weeks now and still have not fixed it. It started with the fault of initially running on idle for several seconds and then stalling. It would do this for several starts until it would not start as it fired but it seem to misfire and try to idle. With this problem sometimes a could get the car to rev and hold it at higher rev for 15 min odd minutes. I have changed the spark plugs as they worn out. I have cleaned the slightly dirty throttle body.i have replaced the iac as I damaged it working out how it worked. The replacement was from a wreck. I have noted that the replacement iac moves when ignition is turn on and does try to position when kicking the engine over. I have checked the fuel pressure and it is 45psi on idle and 55 with vacuum disconnected ( fuel filter changed).Checked cam angle sensor with scope and is putting out even square wave pulses. Checked crank sensor and again produced even pulses. I have cleaned the maf sensor with the proper cleaner. I have checked the inlet manifold gaskets and they are not broken. The car is still the same tries to idle but stalls with the rpm fluctuating between 800rpm to zero then stalls. I try to get to rev and sometimes it will and other times pops and I think floods as the exhaust is black and strong odour of fuel. I have checked each coil pack with a spark plug and they all spark. There is no fault registered and I can not see any problems on the obd2 scan. ( not much info on my scan tool). I am at the end of any ideas and have still have initial the same problem I started with. Old man trying to help his son and I do not want to admit defeat. Help!!!

Old 11-02-2015, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by jabartman
hi am new to the forum. I have been working on my sons 2001 Holden rodeo. It is a 3.2 l v6 manual 4x4 dual cab. The problem started while he was driving for about a k from cold and the car started to die.and stall. He managed to restart it the drove another k. It then died and would not run so he towed it to home. I have Been checking the car for a couple of weeks now and still have not fixed it. It started with the fault of initially running on idle for several seconds and then stalling. It would do this for several starts until it would not start as it fired but it seem to misfire and try to idle. With this problem sometimes a could get the car to rev and hold it at higher rev for 15 min odd minutes. I have changed the spark plugs as they worn out. I have cleaned the slightly dirty throttle body.i have replaced the iac as I damaged it working out how it worked. The replacement was from a wreck. I have noted that the replacement iac moves when ignition is turn on and does try to position when kicking the engine over. I have checked the fuel pressure and it is 45psi on idle and 55 with vacuum disconnected ( fuel filter changed).Checked cam angle sensor with scope and is putting out even square wave pulses. Checked crank sensor and again produced even pulses. I have cleaned the maf sensor with the proper cleaner. I have checked the inlet manifold gaskets and they are not broken. The car is still the same tries to idle but stalls with the rpm fluctuating between 800rpm to zero then stalls. I try to get to rev and sometimes it will and other times pops and I think floods as the exhaust is black and strong odour of fuel. I have checked each coil pack with a spark plug and they all spark. There is no fault registered and I can not see any problems on the obd2 scan. ( not much info on my scan tool). I am at the end of any ideas and have still have initial the same problem I started with. Old man trying to help his son and I do not want to admit defeat. Help!!!
Problem fixed. Initially must have slipped one tooth on the timing belt causing the idle problem. I managed to get it to drive and idle ??. Then when I stopped it and try to restart it a couple of hours later it would not fire at all. Rechecked cam angle sensor and no pulses. Opened oil filler cap and cranked and the cam was not rotating. Lucky the engine is not an interference motor( no damage). Replaced timing belt and water pump and now it runs like a normal. Persistence paid off.
😀