Engine and Internal Chat about beefing up your insides here...

Getting Engine to Turn

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 04:14 PM
Default Getting Engine to Turn

Have a 1987 trooper that has been sitting for seven years. How would you proceed in getting it to turn? Connected battery and will not turn. Any thoughts on getting started on a rebuild?

Old 06-19-2010, 01:17 PM
Default frozen engine

I am assuming that you have tried to turn it with a socket and breaker bar
on the big nut on the end of the crankshaft. That done remove the spark plugs and pump liquid wrench and marvel mystery oil into all cylinders and walk away come back every day and try the breaker bar and add more oil keep it up until it starts to move. Switch to a ratchet and roll it over through several revolutions. When it's turning freely load it up with oil and out a 1/2" impact wrench on it and spin it over with that for a while. If you want to you could try putting the plugs in and see if it will fire up and run you might get lucky. If not, you were planning on a rebuild anyway.

Old 06-20-2010, 10:49 PM
Default Thanks

Originally Posted by davebl663
I am assuming that you have tried to turn it with a socket and breaker bar
on the big nut on the end of the crankshaft. That done remove the spark plugs and pump liquid wrench and marvel mystery oil into all cylinders and walk away come back every day and try the breaker bar and add more oil keep it up until it starts to move. Switch to a ratchet and roll it over through several revolutions. When it's turning freely load it up with oil and out a 1/2" impact wrench on it and spin it over with that for a while. If you want to you could try putting the plugs in and see if it will fire up and run you might get lucky. If not, you were planning on a rebuild anyway.
I first want to thank you for responding. Since I posted the last posting I have discovered that the wiring in the car has been mutilated by rat, etc. I need to be able to replace wiring as needed. Can you tell be a place I can access for getting wiring parts as needed?