Axiom Talk about Isuzu Axiom related topics here...

2002 Axiom - lurches forward

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 11:31 AM

Just got a call from the dealer. Supposedly this is their first request EVER to perform the slip yoke re-greasing. He says that they cannot do the job today, because theAxiom has non-reusable clamps on the drive shaft boot, and theydo not stock these clamps. The service advisor said he could simply use a tie-wrap on the boot, but "doesn''t want to". I reminded him that this vehicle is used by my kids at college, and is not in the area for months at a time. Nevermind that I set this up last week.....

Old 11-21-2008, 01:15 PM

I have reused the clamp on the boot, you just have to be careful taking it off. I have also used tie-wrap once, the boot is not under any pressure and is there just to keep out the dirt. You can also pick up a CV boot clamp at a local aftermarket auto parts store to use on this boot. It really is up to what the customer wants and if they can wait or not.Edited by: NCISUZUTECH

Old 11-21-2008, 04:34 PM

Picked up the Axiom. The tech said he could find nothing at all wrong with the vehicle, and suggested that I not have the slip yoke greased. But I insisted, so I paid $45 for a new boot and 2 clamps. When those parts arrive I will take it back and have the work done.

I will re-post at that time.Edited by: Lyle

Old 11-27-2008, 09:44 AM

I had AirLift 1000 air bag suspension kit installed yesterday. The difference in the ride is incredible. No more floating - no more rocking from front to back. Very nice ride. Now that I have seen such a dramatic improvement in the ride, I may also install the AirLift Company wireless-access air compressor. This unit enables me to adjust the air bag pressure remotely from a small wireless control unit. No additional air hoses needed.

BTW, I forgot to mention this: at the dealership last week, the tech told me that the trans fluid level was good, but that the fluid smelled bad. He said that however good I treat the vehicle, the trans is going to fail. But right now, except for the infamous "thump/clunk" mentioned in the previous posts, the trans performs very well. I know that FLUSHING the trans fluid is a no-no, but is there anything I can do?

Old 11-28-2008, 06:57 AM

I see nothing wrong with flushing the trans as long as they use good equipment and stay away from the additives. As far as the trans failure? My 96 Rodeo with 178k miles has had no trans problems, and I have flushed it multiple times, I have also flushed my wife''s 01 rodeo at 30k and will do it again at 60k. The failures that I see is from over heating the trans from towing and having a leak and running it low on fluid and allowing it to slip. If you are not having any concerns, go ahead and flush it, just do not use any "cleaner or additive". use only dextron 3 or you can use dextron 6 ATF. If you do use the vechicle to tow, I would suggest installing an external trans oil cooler.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:56 AM

I have had two transmissions fail shortly after a transmission flush: a Nissan and a Grand Voyager. Both incidents happened within 3 months of having the trans flushed. I therefore assumed that a trans flush involved not only draining the fluid, but then running a lightweight cleansing fluidthrough the trans to clean it - with the intent ofloosening gunk, removing small amounts of metal, etc.

When I return for the slip yoke re-greasing I will ask the techto flush it, then refill with Dextron-3.

If I seemed to be down on the dealership in myprevious posting, I would like to reverse that position. I think the service adviser made a good call toordera new clamp and boot - then perform the slip yoke work. They did not charge meforusing their diagnostic equipment, reading the codes, cleaning the throttle linkage, checking out the brakes, etc. The tech said he could not find anything wrong. I believe most dealerships would havecharged me for those services, and"found" something wrong in order to collect additional money from me. SoI tip my hat to Clay Cooley Isuzu inDallas, especially Larry the technician!

By the way, I increased the air pressure in my new AirLift suspension to 13 pounds. This vehicle''s ride is now absolutely awesome. I am very pleased.