Trooper Talk about Isuzu Trooper related topics here...

Thermostat

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 01:57 PM
Default Thermostat

I have a 2000 Trooper I picked up in November 2011 and love this silly truck. I have done some small stuff like switch to Rotella and general maintenance. It has a bad thermostat and would like to replace it. I need to get my hands on a shop manual if possible and need the procedure. It appears I need to remove the Intake as I see the thermo housing in the V. Also, I have new plugs, wires and serpentine belt to go on the truck. This should be straight forward. Is there a place with FAQs like I am used to with my DSM(VFAQ if you care)? Yes, I am a DSMer and do all my own work.

I got an autozone thermostat but after running around here a bit I guess that is a bad idea. I will take it back and get an OEM. I always put OEM stuff on my DSM and it has paid off every time.

I headed out to pick up a thermostat and finally found some shop manuals. I noticed I needed common chamber gaskets as well and I guess I should get a TB gasket as well. I then decided to do serpentine belt and plugs. I got NGK BKR5EGP (7090) even though I realize they are single plat not double. I know that will also mean they may need to be replaced faster next time.

The truck has a leaking exhaust as well so in the next couple weeks I will do the muffler and tailpipe sections as the cat sections to not appear to be leaking.

Once this is done I will do the timing belt, tensioner, pulley and water pump.

Any advice or things I may be missing.

Last edited by Junfan; 03-26-2012 at 07:01 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:06 PM

I got my common chamber gaskets and got it apart and man it is nasty inside so I then order egr gasket, k&n, pcv valve, upper and lower rad hoses and fuel injector seals. What an experience for a thermostat. No one local carries the OEM thermostat so I am undecided to try the autozone one or mailorder an OEM. I need my truck by Thursday AM so it may force my hand a bit.