Trooper Talk about Isuzu Trooper related topics here...

1996 Trooper Thermostat / crank Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 05:52 PM

My 1996 manual transmission problem is this:

1. Started running hot, replaced the water pump, continued running hot, thermostat was sticking, replaced, continued running hot, Fan clutch was bad, replaced....STILL Running hot. After driving home from work 10+ miles, I got out and noticed the engine was smoking, not terrible, but enough for concern...the temp gauge reads normal...what could this be...

After the above problem, I have not cranked it in a week, and when I tried, the battery was dead. I replaced the battery and now it will crank but cuts off as soon as my foot leaves the accelarator

It has been a great SUV up till now, it has about 140K and is paid for...is it time to junk it and move on? Please say no!

Old 02-27-2006, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

it runs hot but the temp gauge reads normal?

get it running again an let it get almost hot,even if you have to drive it awhile,when it starts to overheat,pull over an put your an on the inside of the radiator,with the engine off of course.right in ft of the fan an all over the surface,the whole radiator should be hot,or hot up hot an a temp difference toward the bottom,what your checking for are any cold spots.if you feel any the radiator is clogged,this is not uncommon,just age.the fan clutch can not work properly if the radiator is not flowing the coolant right.....normally with isuzus they will drive around town all day fine,but when you take them on the highway at high speeds it will start overheating ,if this sounds familiar you have a bad radiator,the smoking may be just oil leaks 140k i,m sure you may have a few.dont junk it yet.......