Trooper Talk about Isuzu Trooper related topics here...

New 2001 Trooper

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 11:41 PM

I'm new to the forum. I just purchased a 2001 anniversary edition Isuzu Trooper with 90,000 miles.

My first question is what are some of the common problems they have and is there anything i should check right away.

Thanks and glad to join the forum. &lt; src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" =text/&gt; </>&lt; =text/&gt; _uacct = "UA-939292-44"; urchinTracker(); </>&lt; =&gt; <!--
var SymRealOnLoad;
var SymReal;

Sym()
{
window.open = SymWinOpen;
if(SymReal != null)
SymReal();
}

SymOnLoad()
{
if(SymRealOnLoad != null)
SymRealOnLoad();
window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
SymReal = window.;
window. = Sym;
}

SymRealOnLoad = window.onload;
window.onload = SymOnLoad;

//--></>
< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" =text/>
</>

< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-44";
urchinTracker();
</>

< =>
<!--
var SymRealOnLoad;
var SymReal;

Sym()
{
if(SymReal != null)
SymReal();
}

SymOnLoad()
{
SymRealOnLoad();
SymReal = window.;
window. = Sym;
}

//-->
</>Edited by: applbit

Old 12-06-2007, 02:20 PM

</>
Hey App,

I'm new here today myself. I have the 01 Limited and I believe all same equipment with different color schemes and wheels from yours.

At 115k miles, I'm always ready to share my version of experience with this vehicle. Overall, it's been a good ride. There are a couple of major things to keep an eye on but my experience is it has been a solid 4x4 for me and good family hauler. Here's what I've learned both by direct experience and by catching up on different resources out there.

- Engine Oil: Watch it carefully and keep it clean. Not because it's just a good idea but this gen Trooper has some notorious histories with burning oil and even running dry to failure. It seems you either have the prob or you don't with little in between. I've been lucky with mine, maybe slight oil consumption under heavy load but otherwise good.

- Transmission: If you haven't noticed yet, there is no dipstick to check levels on the fluid. Obscene? I thought so but it's a GM unit that runs well for the most part. I got caught with a rebuild at 98k miles and because it was used at purchase Isuzu would not help. I found all Isuzu dealers/service guys to be absolutely useless. Just wanted to charge $4500 or more to box it up and send it off for the work with no knowledge to offer from there. The rebuild was a year ago at a private shop. They did well but had to do a lot of looking up of references to assure all was right. There is a bit of challenge to get the adjustments right on the top gear under the normal mode of driving (vs sport mode) where it is a bit "soft" to lock in...a tendency for all these models. Still chasing a gremlin of the TOD light remaining flashing when engaged vs going to steady as it should...all 4x4 works though.

Sunroof - They're great being so big. I enjoyed it until the plastic gears started stripping. $1200 to redo so it remains closed. There is also some word of leakage but mine remains dry.

Okay, those sound bad enough but really, after some 100k miles plus, the truck remains solid and even rattle free. I thoroughly enjoy the ample room, the sound system, and the ride quality. ALthough it will be retired some time next year in favor of a bit more updated family hauler, I've enjoyed it and will miss it when she's gone.

I'd enjoy knowing your experience as well. Good luck with it!
< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-44";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 12-07-2007, 02:46 PM

</>
One other thing, I'm looking to put mine on the market early next year. Do you mind sharing how much you spent on yours?
< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-44";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 12-11-2007, 01:11 PM

</>
I paid $5100 for mine. I thought that sounded like a fair price.
< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-44";
urchinTracker();
</>

< =>
<!--
var SymRealOnLoad;
var SymReal;

Sym()
{
if(SymReal != null)
SymReal();
}

SymOnLoad()
{
SymRealOnLoad();
SymReal = window.;
window. = Sym;
}

//-->
</>

Old 12-21-2007, 08:33 PM

</>
Everthing that the man told you about the trooper is right on the money.I have had one problem with the power windows though.On the power windows,If the glass comes loose from the track-you just about have to buy a whole new window,because for some reason to glue the bracket back on the window just doesn't work too long.Maybe someone else knows a better way.Both of my front windows broke and finally had to put brand new windows in.
< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-44";
urchinTracker();
</>