Trooper Talk about Isuzu Trooper related topics here...

Front wheel hub problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 01:44 PM

that is for the shift on the fly case it says for 81 thru 95 but i looked under my 88 trooper and it has 2 half shafts so if urs has the 2 half shafts you just pull spindles and take them out if it only has one then its the shift on fly model

Old 01-25-2010, 05:15 PM
Default Hub fixed - thanks for all of your input.

Recall - Front driver side retainer snap ring had slipped off the transaxle and the transaxle and boot had pulled inward away from the wheel/hub. As truck ran okay in two wheel, I neglected the repair for too long. When I finally got around to trying to make the repair, I couldn't get the transaxle to pull out far enough to reset the snap ring (short by an RCH). Turns out, it was just the finest amount of grime that was hold it back. After several cleaning attempts (gunk, etc.), I was finally able to get enough clearance to make the snap ring seat. Miller Time!!!

Thanks to you guys for chiming in on this. It was the dirt that held me back.

I will upload the photos later today.

Old 09-20-2021, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Movida
Thanks guys for your input on this. It is appreciated.

I can not move the transaxle outward enough to engage the snap ring by pushing from the axle side or by pulling it out using a bolt from the outside. The axle is hitting something and preventing it from coming all the way out far enough to engage the snap ring. I guess the question is: is the axle hitting something in the hub itself or is the axle hitting something further up in the drive line (i.e. that would be like in the front differential or transaxle shaft drive line that is preventing it from coming all the way out). I was hoping someone had a similar experience or knowledge on what the transaxle might be hitting and preventing it from coming all the way out.

My next investigation into this will be to disassemble the entire hub but I know this can be tricky as you need a spring loaded guage to measure the load on an internal hub spring to get the tension on the hub correct. If I can get this axle out far enough to engage the snap ring this would save me this headache. After that, it would be taking the front differential apart to see what it might be hitting there. Just trying to keep this repair simple. This is a driveway job.

I will see if I can get some photos of this posted into my photo gallery. - Thanks.

Edit: two photos of hub posted to my photo gallery.

Mr. Movida
Are you sure that the shaft being out hasn't ground off the circlip groove?