Trooper Talk about Isuzu Trooper related topics here...

Metallic, Screech, Grind coming from front wheel

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 06:17 AM
Default Metallic, Screech, Grind coming from front wheel

Went in for routine service on my 98 Trooper only to learn that front axle boots were torn. Mechanic recommended replacement of axles/boots due to exposure to elements. Had new (NAPA) front axles installed and now hearing metallic screech, grind from front wheel (driver side for sure; possibly both sides). It is rhythmic matching the turning of the wheel. I don't hear it for the first miles after the truck has sat for a while but definitely hear it after driving a few miles. With window down driving at slow enough speeds that tire sounds don't drown it out, I can clearly hear the sound as described. Is this a wheel bearing issue? Can the new axles cause problems for old wheel bearings? Were the bearings possibly improperly re-installed after the axles were installed? I am admittedly NOT mechanical and at the mercy of repair shop staff. I am the original owner of this fine vessel and have never had any such issues like this before - and I've never had the bearings repacked - as was once suggested to me about 5,000 miles ago (currently at about 107,000 miles). Your thoughts and expertise appreciated. Thanks.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:41 PM
Default Update on this discussion

Took the Trooper back to the shop this morning; mechanic said that the dust shield had gotten a little out of shape as a result of Friday's work and was rubbing against the back of the rotor or something. He said it was not rubbing anything of any importance relative to brake or wheel functionality. He did whatever he had to do and the sound went away...for now. Many thanks to fellow forum members for their insights.