Trooper Talk about Isuzu Trooper related topics here...

Cardiac Arrest - 1996 Trooper 3.1TD

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 06:15 AM

Hi Guys

My beautiful 3.1TD Trooper / Bighorn AUTOhas a problem you may be able to help with.[img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img]

I was driving along at a steady 60mph and with no warning my revs dropped and I came to a halt. Suspecting a fuel problem I replaced my fuel filter at the roadside and hand primed the system. Fuel into and out of the filter OK.

I then cracked the injectors and turned over - no fuel at injectors - in fact they appeared to be bone dry.[img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]

I then removed fuel solenoid - examined it and tested solenoid - no problem (clean and seals in tact).

With solenoid out I turned the engine again and fuel pissed out of the solenoid hole indicating that everything downline to this point was OK including the pump belt and mechanics.

I then removed the injector pipes (pump to injectors)and checked for obstructions and they were clear.

Any sensible suggestions regarding diagnostics prior to removing / replacing pump would be appreciated!

Would it be safe to put an air line down the fuel solenoid hole and blow through whilst turning the engine over just in case there is some sort of blockage?

Does anyone know of any fuel pump reconditioning kits that are available?

I hope someone out there can point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance!

For the sceptics - I do use biodiesel (home made) and have done for a long time (300,000miles+) this is the first none filter related problem I have encountered on any of my vehicles and all seals on my fuel system are nitrile.