Trooper Talk about Isuzu Trooper related topics here...

94 trooper just click when starting. How to fix starter maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 05:00 PM
Default 94 trooper just click when starting. How to fix starter maybe?

Okay very frustrated now with my 94 trooper.

Ok, So I cut 3 inches of old battery cable off to expose nice copper and then used the Napa splice in kit with new connectors on both positive and negative.

I checked and cleaned positive at the starter.

I did not see where I could clean Neg at motor but have been told negative either connects or doesnt, unlike Positive that needs good connection so do not know if it matters. ???

Battery is fully charged and still only get a click when trying to start. Just a single loud click. Same problem I have always had but have been able to overcome with cleanign battery terminals. Not this time however????

Battery on car meter in car shows over 12 volts. When I try to start drops to 9 volts. Noticed heater motor not coming on. Everything else is.

Tried Jumping at same time with other car to give more amps but still only a click.

So now I am stuck. I know there is a Starter relay in fuse box but Napa tells me it does not go bad and it is most likely the starter motor as these are high amp starters and they think that each time I have been cleaning it giving just enough amps to start motor, they think that now the motor is even with strong battery not turning anymore due to being old and worn out.

The issue is I can see it look almost impossible to remove starter without being on a hoist and removing old exhaust below starter. Am I correct that this is a very hard motor to remove?? Do you think it is the starter since I have been doing the clean thing and starts perfect for over 2 years until now?

Looking for your help?

Thanks

Old 01-16-2012, 02:06 AM

Time for a new starter...

The solenoid is working, that is the click sound...

But sounds like the starter is not turning.

A new starter is about $120.00 bucks and it should solve your problem.

As far as fixing your existing starter your self, I do not think you can buy the parts for it... I try everywhere before I bought the now one..

Luis

Old 01-26-2012, 11:40 AM

Old 02-21-2012, 02:25 AM

I've seen em at Costco for $100. Go to a music store and try some guitars out. It'll be easier to get a sense of how guitar in decent condition plays.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:48 AM

It is possible to get the starter out without removing exhaust. It's a pain in the a$& though
Pull the two bolts holding the starter after removing the electrical connectors. Then you have to carefully turn the starter over lengthwise and sneak it out of there