Rodeo Talk about Isuzu Rodeo related topics here...

Click on key turn

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 10:13 AM
Unhappy Click on key turn

well i bought a 95 rodeo about 2 weeks ago when i got it the guy told me there might be a problem with the ignition switch on it. until yesterday it was fine i stopped at a gas station and when i went to restart the truck i turn the key and here a single click ... i waited a while and tried again still nothing .. i wiggled the key around a bit and it started right up so i drove it home. when i got home just for giggles i tried to start it again and same thing turn key 1 click. wiggle wiggle started right up.

parts for this truck are ridiculous compared to vehicles ive had in the past and before i start throwing parts at it id like to know if it might be the ignition cylinder the switch or possibly the solenoid. any feedback would be greatly appreciated

thanks a ton

Last edited by domesticguy; 08-27-2010 at 06:17 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:30 AM
Default Sounds like the starter contacts

Usually this type of problem is the starter solenoid contacts are going bad.
You can check the starter relay, but that is a long shot. It might also be
a bad connection to the starter but sounds like the starter contacts. Either a kit or replace the starter will be your best bet.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:16 PM

If it's like the 96 LS with the V6, the starter relay is in the electrical box on the left side of the engine compartment (when facing it straight-on while standing at the front bumper). The only purpose of the relay is to allow you to use minimal ignition current (i.e. an amp) to pull in the solenoid (which could draw closer to 15 or 20 amps) using battery current. And since the relay is the last link in the chain before the solenoid, you can pull out the relay and jumper 12v directly to the solenoid and start your truck (assuming the ignition is in the On position). Do this enough times and you'll know whether the problem is the starter solenoid, or something upstream of the solenoid (relay, wiring, ignition switch, etc).

I had a strange problem on my 96 LS where the shifter position kill switch was broken. It was interrupting the ignition current going into the relay - it would do this almost full-time, even though it's only supposed to interrupt while the vehicle is in neutral or drive. As the switch was a couple hundred bucks and (from memory) would've required dropping the tranny for replacement, I opted to wire around it with 20 cents worth of wire by providing ground directly to the relay from the battery, rather than through the shift-position kill switch.

Hope that helps!

Old 10-13-2010, 06:39 PM

I had this problem with mine, but it was completely starter unrelated. Eventually Check engine light came on, and it told me it was the EGR valve. Rather than replacing it ($200+) I just cleaned it with carburetor cleaner and blew some through, and voila! Worked like a charm and cost me a can of cleaner.