Rodeo Talk about Isuzu Rodeo related topics here...

Weird Starting Problem....

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 09:16 PM

Okay, my 2000 rodeo was having starting issues and a minor CEL code a couple weeks ago. The computer tester at my autoparts store helped determine that the battery was dying. I replaced the battery and the CEL code cleared after the 3rd start with the new battery. So I had hoped that the issues were resolved. Unfortunately they are back. We wen''t a couple days with no problems starting up. Then when the ign key was turned we could hear the fuel pump prime and stop, then a click under the hood.(I assume that''s the starter relay) And then nothing. It might not crank at all or it might crank and turn the engine over a few times and not start. But if we try to start it with the gas pedal depressed then it may or may not get past the engine turning and actually start. Once the engine starts it idles fine and handles great at any speed. (so i would rule out the fuel pump) I also changed the fuel filter and all six plugs. To test the ECM and fuel pump relays on the passenger side fender well I swapped them with equivalent part numbered ones and that has not helped. These last two days we notice that if we turn the ign key on we can hear the fuel pump prime, then the familar starter relay click and nothing.....unless.........if we push the brake all the way down. If we press the brake pedal down and then try to start it works. Someone please tell me we''re not loosing our minds and that this is a common issue or possibly tell tale signs of a dying starter or something easy I''m missing? FYI, there are no CEL lights on the dash when the engine is running.

Old 09-06-2008, 05:18 PM

Yeah, i own a 1999 3.2 v6 2wd. I had the same problem a few months ago. You need to take the starter off and either have it rebuilt or just ask a starter shop to replace the contacts. Ive been told they tend to go bad on Rodeos. Now mine works just fine after haven the contacts replaced. Let me know if it helps. By the way its not hard, just two bolts and the two contacts, one for the ground and the other for the battery. Make sure you disconect the battery 1st.Edited by: DaMan

Old 09-07-2008, 10:21 PM

Thanks for the reply. After posting that I took the starter out, had it tested at Oreillys Autoparts. Their machine tested it fine three times in a row while i watched. Then i placed it back in the suv and couldn''t replicate the hard start/no startproblem. Just to be sure I took it to the dealership and had them test it for two days straight and they could not find any starting issues. So i''m thinking that (1)the starter solenoid contacts were sticking due to the dying battery or (2) possibly the external solenoid contacts were oxidized and R&Ring it helped with a better electrical contact or (3) the starter may nearing the end of it''s lifespan.(which i doubt) We haven''t had any hard start/no start issues since i posted my original note. FYI, the dealership qouted $480+ for a starter and $200+ for labor. LOL. Oreillys has them brand new for $150 and it would take me 20 minutes to R&R it.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:44 PM

A bad starter can look fine on an auto parts store test bench unless its completely dead. Their test benches hit it with over 1k cranking amps. It can turn a starter that a much weaker (but working perfectly) car battery cant. I''ve had that alot with new rebuilt starters.

Not uncommon for the contacts to be a problem. You will probably have problems with it again soon. When mine died i bought a reman Autolite from checker (shucks/kragen).