Amigo Talk about Isuzu Amigo related topics here...

Starting Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 03:52 PM

Ive got a 99 V6 2wd amigo. The problem started recently. When I go to start the engine, it turns over for about 5-8 seconds now before starting. Once started it runs normal, no engine codes or anything. I have changed the air filter and plugs, but I'm not sure what else to do. I'm hoping that this isnt an earlysign of big prolems!Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Old 03-13-2007, 08:10 PM

Ya im having the same issue, it only does this on cold starts. If its
been running for an amount of time then I turn it off for a short
amount of time it will start up quick. Im wondering whether or not it
has to do with something with fuel pressure, It may be loosing fuel
pressure when it sits for awhile and the 5-8 seconds before it starts
may be it building up that lost fuel pressure. Im not sure but hopefuly
i can find out.

Old 03-23-2007, 02:58 AM

Yep, thats what I am thinking. Maybe the pump going out. I've only got 72K on mine, that seems a little early to me.

Old 03-23-2007, 11:27 PM

Ya only 69 on mine, it may not be the fuel pump (though it certainly could be) it may be just old o-rings that are loosing its seal.

Old 03-30-2007, 05:13 PM

Which O rings would it be?

Old 04-01-2007, 12:12 AM

it is the fuel pump loosing pressure through the check valve in the pump, place a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail and start the vehicle, the turn it off if the pressure begins to fall fast then it is the check valve, replace the pump assembly, if not then turn key on and watch the guage if it looses pressure could be a injector leaking into the cylinder, then you would need to due further test to determine if pcm or injector failure

Old 04-01-2007, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by MASTERTECH
it is the fuel pump loosing pressure through the check valve in the pump, place a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail and start the vehicle, the turn it off if the pressure begins to fall fast then it is the check valve, replace the pump assembly, if not then turn key on and watch the guage if it looses pressure could be a injector leaking into the cylinder, then you would need to due further test to determine if pcm or injector failure

Thanks for the response Master. What is the PCM? If the problem is the check valve in the pump, is this a sign of future failure, or can I run it for a while longer. I usually just turn the key and let the pump prime before I start the car.

Old 04-07-2007, 09:11 PM

ah Im just going to live with it. If you pause for basically a second and let the pump prime the lines it starts just fine. It certianly doesnt bother me enough to change out the pump.

Old 04-19-2007, 10:57 PM

I have this same probem as well in a 99 amigo v6. I know there is a fuel pressure regulator in play as well, it might not be the pump. It could be the regulator.

Old 04-19-2007, 11:20 PM

This sounds like a fuel pressure regulator leaking down [img]smileys/smiley21.gif[/img] . It could be a pump or injector but I have seen a lot of FPR that ruptures and will do two things, 1st drops pressure after you turn the engine off and 2nd causes fuel to go into the intake through the vaccum line. [img]smileys/smiley10.gif[/img] Easest way to check this is use a clear vaccum line at the FPR, while the engine is running, if you see fuel in the line the FPR is bad. If it checks ok at first check it multiple times, it can fool you [img]smileys/smiley8.gif[/img] .

Quick Reply: Starting Problem