Rodeo Talk about Isuzu Rodeo related topics here...

new guy, question for the %&$# wheel studs

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 11:32 AM
Default new guy, question for the %&$# wheel studs

Hi Folks,

I've had my 97 V6 5-Speed Rodeo almost since it was new, it's done everything I've asked of it, it's terrific at towing. Has 100k miles now, just replaced one of the coil-on-plugs and it runs strong as ever. I hope to put another 100k on it.

The problem is those $#$& stock Isuzu wheel studs. A bunch were broken in the back and after much time and effort I managed to replace some, but the after-market cap nuts are not the same as the stock ones and now I have the problem of broken studs in the front.

I have the stock wheels, so it has those hub covers that bolt inline to the studs, it's not the best system, but I don't have the dough now to replace four wheels. I would be okay with tossing the hub covers in the trash if necessary and just using regular studs and open lug nuts rather than cap nuts.

Buying 25 replacement studs and cap nuts from the dealer is going to cost a couple hundred dollars. She's a good truck, but her lookin' days are behind her, I would rather not spend 2 bills or more on a handful of nuts and bolts.

Does anyone know of a good cheap replacement for the Isuzu wheel stud setup? Thanks.

Old 06-26-2011, 04:54 PM

This is a very common problem and after breaking about half the stud and just going to Advance auto parts for non matching caps i torque my lugs at 70 ft lbs. so as not to go though that again. One shop said to replace the whole plate with a racing step up but i think the torque wrench works for me.

Old 06-26-2011, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by security11122
This is a very common problem and after breaking about half the stud and just going to Advance auto parts for non matching caps i torque my lugs at 70 ft lbs. so as not to go though that again. One shop said to replace the whole plate with a racing step up but i think the torque wrench works for me.

I'm told the problem is that Isuzu spec'd some kind of alloy (maybe magneloy?) no idea why they use that instead of conventional steel.

I use the non-dealer studs, but they're not long enough to use the stock hub cabs, I'm just going to throw those out. Thanks for the 70 ft. lbs. suggestion.

Old 06-27-2011, 05:44 AM

your right they are shorter but i kept the hubs. it is better to be safe though. The hubs are a bit cheap looking anyway. I don't know the spects for torquing the lugs and i know 70 ft lbs isn't much but it works for me. I don't know why they didn't use steel also but that is a very interesting question.