Rodeo Talk about Isuzu Rodeo related topics here...

flashing 4 WD indicator light on 2WD

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 02:54 AM

Hi everyone,

I hope someone can help me with this.

I have a 1999 Isuzu Rodeo 4x4 automatic (bought as used). It has 76K mileage on it. 2 weeks ago I brought to a local shop for a suppose to be 60K service. I had also mentioned to the mechanic to whom i have been taking my Rodeo to for oil changes and minor stuff, that i noticed that there was one time that it would'nt start and that i had to turn the key thrice before it started.

Except for a broken "boot" that had to be replaced, everything seemed fine, fluids were flushed and replaced, oil filters, timing belt, etc. My Rodeo's starter seemed fine too when i got the truck. Yesterday, my Rodeo would not start, so this morning I finally was able to start the car after 30-minutes of trying and brought it to the shop. The starter was replaced. As i was taking the car for a spin, i noticed that the 4WD indicator light was flashing. I engaged the 4WD, and light went on, then i pressed the switch again to disengage, then the indicator light was again flashing but never going totally off, signaling that the 4WD has been completely disengaged. I followed the owners manual to the letter, switching the 4WD on and off, as well as trying the 4H and 4L, yet the 4WD indicators still flashes.

What could be the problem? If someone has any ideas, I can print your reply and show it to the mechanic so he can repair it for free. I checked the local library online for the 1999 Isuzu Rodeo workshop manual but they don't have it. I hope I don't have to bring the car to an Isuzu dealer and then get charged for a problem that was'nt there before the starter was replaced.

Old 09-22-2007, 04:41 PM

Sounds like the front axle actuator is stuck. There is a switch on it that tells the puter if its in 4wd or 2wd position. Could be as simple as the 2wd vacuum hose came off. Or could be the actuator its self stuck, or the solenoid valves gone bad.

Check out THIS POST for lots of info on the subject and trouble shooting advice.

Old 09-22-2007, 07:48 PM

Thank you very much Gizmo42.

I browsed the forum some more after my posting and found the link. Printed it out, went to the shop and had the mechanic read it. He placed the rodeo on the lift and inspected the car, saw the actuator and the hoses that were intact. Traced the hoses, just flicked at it a little then set down the truck. When he started the engine, the 4WD indicator light flashing was gone. I again went around the block, engaged and disengaged the 4WD, as well as the 4H and 4L and everything seemed fine. Hope it stays this way.