Trooper Talk about Isuzu Trooper related topics here...

Flashing rear wheels on TOD indicator - caused by disconnected vacuum line

Old 03-09-2011, 09:53 AM
Default Flashing rear wheels on TOD indicator - caused by disconnected vacuum line

Hey all, just wanted to throw this out into cyberspace in case anyone else has the same problem.

I picked up my 2000 Trooper from the shop yesterday after having the intake manifold gasket replaced for the third time in 65,000 miles. (I gotta figure out how to do that job myself). The second I started the car, I immediately noticed the rear wheel lights flashing on the TOD section of the dash (the truck was in normal 2H mode, TOD off.) If I turned TOD on, the AUTO light came on, the rear wheels stopped flashing, and the bottom portion of the front wheel indicators came on, which is all normal. Turned it back off, and the rear wheels started flashing again. A ways down the road, a red "CHECK" light came on.

Later that day, a friend and I went out to see if there was anything obvious under the hood... he noticed a vacuum line that had been pulled off its attachment point (probably during the intake manifold gasket job). Put it back on and everything was happy. I never checked the codes, so I'm not sure what error was being generated.

The vacuum line that had been pulled off was on the drivers side of the engine, in the rear of the engine bay, up high... but I supposed a break or leak in any of the associated lines could cause a similar problem.

Good luck.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:38 AM

I Have same problem after i had my transmission replaced. I thought that the problem was under skid plate , were the vaccume lines connect to the 4wd sensors?

can you give me a little bit of a more description of were its located at in the engine compartment??

Thank you !!

Old 03-19-2011, 05:17 PM

A disconnected vac line, bad VSV, or a vac leak will trigger the TOD indicator flashing.