Rodeo Talk about Isuzu Rodeo related topics here...

Check Engine Light ECU?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 04:33 PM

I took my 99' Rodeo to my local Honda dealer for several repairs (No Isuzu dealer for 50 miles). One thing wrong my check engine light was on. The dealer told me that it was showing an ECU alarm. They also said the Isuzu's were notorious for wiring shortages and this could also cause the ECU alarm. They couldn't guarantee an new ECU would fix it ($345) and if it didn't I bought it regardless. My question is that if the ECU is bad would the exhaust gas be rich or lean and maybe an emissions shop could tell me if it needs and ECU or not? Thanks Todd

Old 02-17-2006, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator

get it to a isuzu dealer,isuzus are NOTT!! notoriuse for wiring shorts.an pcm do not often go bad.you,ll save money driving 50milesthan taking a chance the a shop who doesnt know the product.an still what is the problem? what code does it have? what symptoms? running conditions?

Old 02-18-2006, 07:12 PM

I agree with the Guru, Todd. Isuzus are not known for wiring problems, but the Honda Passports are. The dealeryoutook it to mayhavediagnosed & repairedPassports with electrical problems, and assumed it was inherent tothe Rodeoas well.One problem with the Hondas was that theyused sub-standard wiring which led to a multitude of electrical problems, including some vehicle fires. That was, at least, until Honda learned to build their "own" SUVs.

Old 03-02-2006, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Spitball22
I agree with the Guru, Todd. Isuzus are not known for wiring problems, but the Honda Passports are.

Umm... rodeos and passports are exactly the same with exactly the same parts built on the same assembly line. The only difference between the two is one says isuzu and the other says honda (and the difference in what the dealer charged you).

As the guru said rodeos are not known for having wiring shorts. One thing that is common on them is for the wiring ground points to corrode and lose contact. There are several of them so finding them all can be tricky. Try looking for all of them an cleaning the connections. Also ECU failures are pretty rare, but a few have been known to go bad.

Also, the plug in style trailer harness has been known to cause funny electical things to happen if one is installed and goes bad. Simply unplugging it takes care of the problem, not isuzus fault.

A bad ECU could easily cause it to run rich or lean, its what controls the injectors. Personally I would find a used one at a salvage yard for much less money if cleaning the ground points didnt work. As has been said the ECUs are not known for going bad so chances of getting a bad used one is slim.Edited by: Gizmo42