Rodeo Talk about Isuzu Rodeo related topics here...

2000 Ls 3.2 V6 RWD knocking issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 08:05 PM
Default 2000 Ls 3.2 V6 RWD knocking issue

I just recently had the water pump on the 2000 rodeo replaced and now I have a low knocking on start up for a small amount of time and also very loud it the engine is held at 2300-2800 RPM the knocking was not there befor the water pump was replaced so im thinking the problem is some were in there

Any ideas would be helpful

Old 08-15-2009, 01:03 AM

is it a "knocking" or a loud "ticking/clacking" like a diesel engine?
it's really a knock it's possible that somehow when putting it back together they got your heads out of time with the crank. is there a loss of power as well or does it seem to run as well as before?

when they were in there they had to remove the hydraulic tensioner to get the timing belt out to replace the w-pump...they probably installed the same tensioner when re-installing the timing belt...if you motor is doing the loud "ticking/clacking" like a diesel engine my guess is that the hydraulic tensioner is probably bad.
Just a question...did they replace just the water pump? I think that if you they have your timing belt covers off and are replacing any component, they should replace all components (water pump, timing belt, hydraulic tensioner and the tensioner pulley and idler if signs of wear).
just my thoughts....op, please let us know if it's a knock or a tick/clack...if ...others are sure to chime in

Last edited by dbikers; 08-15-2009 at 01:05 AM.
Old 08-15-2009, 01:36 PM

Doesn't sound like a lifter .... at higher rpm's the ticking from those goes away .....

If it is a valve strike I'd expect things to not last long before it soundes really really bad if it even still runs. It's possible that you're getting the barest of contact - but even with that I'd expect things to break pretty soon after firing it up.

I'm leaning the tensioner way .... they 'release' completely when the belt is removed and that could have done something to it so that it's now 'bad'.

Knocking and ticking are two different things. Knocking often precedes an internal combustion engine becoming an external combustion engine.

HTH's

Old 08-16-2009, 09:30 AM

I dont think that the pistons are hitting the valves its been almost 6 months sence the knock started and I have not lost power and the only new thing added to this mix is a valve seal leaking and all passenger seals. the sound is a a loud knocking almost like a lifter sound but more bass to it at 2500rpms and mild almost not there sound at reg idle. I have found that the sound is coming from the passenger side of the car (same as the tensioner) I do plan on doing a manuel rotation of the crank for about 6 or 7 full rotations to see if there is any resistance at any point.

Old 08-16-2009, 01:30 PM

Exhaust gasket?

Check for a leak there. They can sound like a tick sometimes.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:02 PM

I really appreciate the way people are using the forum to communicate and help each other. Thanks to the person who give this idea to the world and made the world ti tie in a single knot. But i don't think anybody would like to give it to you as they have to use that. But hope for the best.

-----------------

Nuimos

Isuzu World