Axiom Talk about Isuzu Axiom related topics here...

Paint problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 05:54 PM

I have a 2004 Black metalliac Axiom, my paint on the passenger side from front to back has started to have small cracks in it. I looks like real thin pieces of white rice same length just thinner, a paint guy says my clear coat is cracking, which he said is from where it was repaired and the clear coat wasn''t applied or did correctly. I bought the truck with 19 miles on it I have never had it painted, anyone have any problems like this?? Is this an Isuzu paint defect or did my truck get repaired before i bought it?? If it did how can i find out and get it fixed??

Old 10-13-2008, 01:18 PM

No such problems on my 2004. Try a Carfax report to see if anything turns up.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:24 PM

Would a carfax cover damage that may have been done before I bought it?? I purchased it with less 50 miles on it. If the dearlership or the delivery people did the damage would that be reported or just keep off the records??
Thanks for the idea..

Old 10-13-2008, 07:06 PM

I cant say from experience with Isuzu no experience with them & I have only owned an Isuzu under a week but I worked in many different dealerships & independent shops over the years doing mechanic & body work.

I have seen numerous things like you described 1 yes dealers fix small mishaps themselves with no records. cars get dinged getting off the truck & sometimes a vandal scratches or kicks a car when dealer is closed.

next sometimes manufactures have different paint problems & your sound like the clear isnt holding up. but I have also seen chemicals cause problems reacting & causing a paint or clear coat failure.

sometimes the paind manufacture makes different batches & 1 batch has problems & other is fine. I have first hand experience with that on Honda cars in the early 1990s as well as some oldsmobiles.

it could be just a harsh inviroment & that side in sun with the harsh rains.

can you tell if it is the paint of the clear coat? I ask as I have seen paint fail under a clear coat but the lines normally were seen int he old days when we dried too fast a lacquar painted car or a lac painted car with some age would do that on its own.

as for paint doing that sometimes there is a problem with the clear & paint will shrink under the clear & you will see the primer lines sometimes some paints dont like some clears like one shop I worked at was using PPG paints & Dupont & R&M & had a few problems with a couple colors when mixing & have heard of that happening with new colors some years & having a new car with a paint failure.

remember all the GM silver cars of the mid to late 1980s? I probably repainted over 1,000 GM cars that failed & had to remove top coats & sand primer & seal & recoat with a new coat of paint..

Randy

Originally Posted by wsblalock10
Would a carfax cover damage that may have been done before I bought it?? I purchased it with less 50 miles on it. If the dearlership or the delivery people did the damage would that be reported or just keep off the records??
Thanks for the idea..