Rodeo Talk about Isuzu Rodeo related topics here...

Intermittent grinding and clicking

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 02:45 PM

I drove my 1999 Isuzu Rodeo cross country this past week. 90 miles short of our destination there was a grinding noise from the front passenger side. I pulled into a rest stop and let it sit overnight. In the morning, i drove it around the parking lot and it made the noise one time then stopped. We drove the remanding 90 miles with out a hint of the problem. It has done it again 2 times since then but stopped immediately. I've take it to the local mechanic but can't get it to happen in his presence so he has been unable to diagnose the problem. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 11-21-2007, 08:52 PM

Probably the snap ring came off the end of the cv axle. Remove the wheel, pull the cover off the drive flange for the hub (allen head bolts). Hopefully if thats it, it didnt damage then end of the shaft or the flange too bad. I removed the flanges on mine and put on manual locking hubs. That way the cv shafts arent turning all the time, only when I lock them in for 4wd. Not really shift of the fly anymore but not a problem.

Old 11-21-2007, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Gizmo42
Probably the snap ring came off the end of the cv axle. Remove the wheel, pull the cover off the drive flange for the hub (allen head bolts). Hopefully if thats it, it didnt damage then end of the shaft or the flange too bad. I removed the flanges on mine and put on manual locking hubs. That way the cv shafts arent turning all the time, only when I lock them in for 4wd. Not really shift of the fly anymore but not a problem.
Thanks for this, I'm going to pull it apart tomorrow and see what i find.

Anyone else have ideas in case that isn't the problem since I'm tearing it apart on thanksgiving?

Brian

Old 11-22-2007, 02:16 AM

Could also be a rock or something between the brake rotor and dust sheild comming loose and moving around on occasion. I think I have one in mine, grinds under heavy braking. Havent gotten around to looking at it yet. Maybe bad/locking up wheel bearings. When I replaced mine they had ground into the hub nut (happened before I bought it). Shouldnt really be anything else to make a grinding sound, bad cv joint would click.

Old 11-22-2007, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Gizmo42
That was it! thank you soo much. This has taken soo much stress off me. I've got a 1800 mile drive home and that had been weighing heavy on my mind.

Brian