Trooper Talk about Isuzu Trooper related topics here...

turned if off now it wont start

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 01:55 PM
Default turned if off now it wont start

1989 isuzu trooper 2.6l 5speed.

i was out on the trail saturday having a good time. 4x4ing the local orv park "walker valley", an i happend to get stuck on a a very steep incline an i shut the truck off to help the guy hook up who was wenching me up. an so that i could hear him better when he wa talking.

got backing the truck to start it an drive up with assistance fromt the wench an the truck wont start. "fuel pump" wouldnt turn back on. truck had been running fine like it always has.

checked the filter its fine. checked the in coming line to the filter the pump just isnt feeding any fuel. the pump dosnt seem like its getting power and te fuze and relay are new. any i deas ?

Old 03-23-2009, 05:34 PM

check the relay or fuses and see if they are bad....it could have gone bad i mean if u were trying to force the truck up and it wouldnt budge up the the fuel pump could of overheated and thats it for that. When u were going up this steep incline how much gas did u have because if u have less then a quarter your pump can start overheating and thats how most fuel pumps fail its cause people let there tank run dry before refilling and the fuel is the only thing keeping the pump cool...hope this helps

Old 03-23-2009, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by bigman5956
check the relay or fuses and see if they are bad....it could have gone bad i mean if u were trying to force the truck up and it wouldnt budge up the the fuel pump could of overheated and thats it for that. When u were going up this steep incline how much gas did u have because if u have less then a quarter your pump can start overheating and thats how most fuel pumps fail its cause people let there tank run dry before refilling and the fuel is the only thing keeping the pump cool...hope this helps
i keep the truck is 1/3 full an the relays are good. tested them an they work. thanks for the responce. you may be right that it just burnt up. truck hast 274,000 miles on it. ..... hey you got any info for the wiring going to the fuel pump? i would like to suplly 12v directly to the pump an see if it turns on or not.

Old 03-25-2009, 01:39 AM

i dont have any info but i think the pump is inside the tank try searching google about the wiring

Old 03-25-2009, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by bigman5956
i dont have any info but i think the pump is inside the tank try searching google about the wiring
thanks for the idea but i am just pulling the tank out today. lucky its not a big pain in the butt.

let ya all know how it goes.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:40 PM

pulled out the tank today . easy task to do. an i noticed on the fuel pump clip. the red an black wire. the ground had burned up a little so it was just a contact problem. since i had the tank out i replaced the pump , an i am keeping the old one as a back up spare for on the trail.

so i modified the wires a little bit. i added a set of spaded wired connectors male an female for each end so they plug in like they are supposed to . i hope having more contact area will further stall this problem from happening again. i also put rubber cement on the new connections to keep them water tight. an a good bit of electrical tape.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:55 PM

I'm having a similar problem with a '93 trooper. I replaced the fuel pump and the hanger but the problem remains.... it won't start. Did rewiring the fuel pump mechanism solve the problem?