Trooper Talk about Isuzu Trooper related topics here...

Roof Rack

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 08:56 PM
Default Roof Rack

Hello all I am new to this forum and a new owner of a 94 Isuzu Trooper. Love it so far, but need a roof rack for it. It's a4x4 with just a plain top - no luggage rack or anything - it's the plain looking one I don;t think it even has rain channels going down the sides

Does anyone know what rack would work for it? I'm looking to carry 2 kayaks on it. Hopefully something kinda cheap but functional is out there.

A google search gives me lots of non specifics on year and model.

Any help would be much apprectiated!

Old 02-14-2011, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by kayaktrooper
Hello all I am new to this forum and a new owner of a 94 Isuzu Trooper. Love it so far,
Me too!
Mine came equipped with a ARB Bull Bar and a Wilderness Rack.
I took the rack off cuz it was a big snow catcher and made my Trooper look like it was ready for the African Serengeti! LOL

Here is what I'm talking about.
http://wildernessracks.com/roof_or_rack.html

Maybe they have something for you?
Good luck finding something cheap!

Old 02-21-2011, 09:47 PM
Default If your rig still has the rain gutters then think custom shop

I just got my first Trooper (86 two door) and the roof construction is such that it should easily take a miniaturized version of the lumber/ladder rack that is on my Dodge cargo van.

Any rig with rain gutters can take roof rack mounts that are simple enough that any teenager with basic metal shop equipment can make a pretty decent roof rack, so it is just up to you to pick design and material.

If you want high tech and performance, think welded aluminum, but for most of us, it would be welded steel. Come up with a decent basic drawing and shop around your local craigslist for an aspiring welder who does work out of his home/garage. You should be able to get a pretty nice roof rack built in the $200 to $300 range, something basic but strong and functional for $100.