Rodeo Talk about Isuzu Rodeo related topics here...

whistling roof rack

Old 12-04-2005, 06:43 PM

I have an 02 Rodeo 4 door with a factory installed roof rack. The damn thing whistles at any speed above about 40 mph. On long trips, it is downright unbearable. Can the factory roof racks be removed without a huge hole in your roof or other obstructions? How?

Old 07-06-2006, 10:41 AM

yes you can take them off w/o a huge hole ,, another thing you can try is to move the beams on the rack around mine was doing the same thing and i moved them back.....wallah no more whistling .. might work for you too let me know

late

Old 07-06-2006, 02:32 PM

I tried miving the beams to the furthest back position. It helped, but didn't go away completely. I was afraid to completely remove the entire system and leave holes in the roof, so I only removed the cross beams. I still have the rails from front to back and the slider assemblies, but no more whistling. One of these days I'll figure out how to remove the sliders.

Old 11-21-2006, 12:56 PM

can i ask how you removed the cross-bars? i tried loosening the bolts, but they are hooked into the slides on the roof. i can't figure out how to get them out of the tracks. i'm heading out on a long trip tomorrow, so i hope you can help me out.

Old 11-21-2006, 02:47 PM

I don't remember exactly, but they cross-bars need to be unscrewed from underneath, between the slider assembly and the roof. Once you get those screws out, you should be able to start working the cross bars out. I put the one bar right in the center of the roof rack, then moved the passenger side forward and the drivers side backward. Once you get them at an angle, it should be easier to slide the cross-bars out. I recommend doing this in the center of the rack, because you can pull out the sides of the rack easier from the center.Youwill be amazed at how much nicer your truck is to drive with that whistling gone. For as much as the engineers laid out a good aerodynamic truck with good mechanical parts (if you keep your fluids changed!!!), they sure did screw up with that loud *** roof rack, in my opinion!!!

Hope this helps, be safe on your trip.

Old 11-21-2006, 09:41 PM

My 02' Axiom does the same thing. But it doesn't really bother me. The only time I can here it really good is when I have my window cracked and I go under an over-pass. Then it kinda sounds like a jet.[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]