Trooper Talk about Isuzu Trooper related topics here...

over cranked tortion bars....what the hell.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 01:31 PM
Default over cranked tortion bars....what the hell.

i bought a 91 trooper a month ago and Im really happy with it so far and haven't noticed a poor ride quality but the other day when i was changing spark plugs i stepped up on the bumper to reach the back ones and noticed that my 250 pound *** didn't budge the the front suspension so i did some jumping around on the front bumper and still NOTHING. are my front torsion bar over cranked from the previous owner to get some lift and do you think there was any damage done if i crank them back down. i plan on taking this truck off road that is why i bought it but im going to get really bad traction performance if my front end cant articulate at all.

Old 09-19-2009, 10:42 AM

cranking the torsion bars is a quick cheap way to do a lift on the troopers.

uncrank them, they can break if it wasnt done properly.

go out and find a calmini 3" lift kit. will usually run you $1500 installed.

its a suspension lift, and should serve your needs

Old 09-19-2009, 11:40 PM

so turning them back down to stock ride height will break them

Old 09-20-2009, 12:46 PM

no, it wont break them. but if you go wheeling right now and slam a rock, your torsion bar can break. uncrank them to stock, and get a proper suspension lift.

Old 09-20-2009, 03:48 PM

well to be perfectly honest i only want to do mild wheeling im more of expedition type wheeler i like to do alot of camping so the only wheeling done is to my campsite like washed out dirt roads some creek crossing stuff like that. i think a 3'' suspension lift is a little over kill plus 1500 bucks is more than i paid for the truck and cant justify paying that much. how big a body lift can i do on a automatic 91 trooper to fit some bigger tires. i also heard i could relocate my ball joints and get some shock extensions to get a little more travel out of my front end. and i made some collapsible shackles for my jeep once that let my wheel drop when it needed to an extra 4'' and i thought i could put some on this truck. i dont really think i need alot of lift just articulation. i will PM you my number cracker if you dont mind call me so i can pick your brain a little.