Trooper Talk about Isuzu Trooper related topics here...

New to the forum need help

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 10:10 AM
Default New to the forum need help

Hi everyone. I have an Isuzu Trooper it's an 01 and it needs a new engine. I have swapped the engine tranny and T case in my jeep before, but I have never swapped just an engine and unbolted the engine from the tranny. Is there a certain way to seperate the engine from the tranny without damaging things? I'm just looking for any advice that you guys can give me to make the process go smoothly. I can't seem to find any writups on it. Or picks would be great too.
Also, it is the 3.5L and I have found one for $2000 shipped, cause they're kinda hard to come by. Are there any other vehicle models that use this same engine that would be a direct swap?

Thanks in advance. Klinton

Old 07-29-2010, 02:52 PM

This is strickly by the book. There are easier ways to do it once you get hands-on into it.
-----------

Removal

1. Disconnect battery ground and positive cable.
  2. Remove battery.
  3. Make alignment mark on the engine hood and hinges before removal in order to return the hood to original position exactly.
  4. Remove engine hood.
  5. Drain radiator coolant.
  6. Disconnect ion sensing module harness connectors, and manifold absolute pressure sensor harness connectors from sensors on common chamber.
  7. Disconnect throttle position sensor harness connectors from throttle body.
  8. Disconnect air duct with air cleaner cover.
  9. Remove air cleaner assembly.
  10. Disconnect canister vacuum hose.
  11. Disconnect vacuum booster hose.
  12. Disconnect three engine harness connectors.
  13. Disconnect harness connector to transmission (left front side of engine compartment), disconnect shift on the fly harness connector from front side of front axle and remove transmission harness bracket from engine left side.
  14. Disconnect ground cable between engine and frame.
  15. Disconnect bonding cable connector on the back of right dash panel.
  16. Disconnect bonding cable terminal on the left bank.
  17. Disconnect starter harness connector from starter.
  18. Disconnect generator harness connector from generator.
  19. Disconnect coolant reserve tank hose from radiator.
  20. Remove radiator upper and lower hoses.
  21. Remove upper fan shroud.
  22. Remove cooling fan assembly four fixing nuts, then the cooling fan assembly.
  23. Move drive belt tensioner to loose side using wrench then remove drive belt.
  24. Remove power steering pump fixing bolts, then power steering pump. Place the power steering pump along with piping on the body side.
  25. Remove air conditioning compressor fixing bolts from bracket and place the compressor along with piping on the body side.
  26. Remove four 02 sensor harness connectors (two each bank) from exhaust front pipe.
  27. Remove three exhaust pipe fixing nuts from each bank.
  28. Remove two exhaust pipe fixing nuts from each exhaust pipe, then move exhaust pipe to rear side of vehicle.
  29. Remove flywheel dust covers.
  30. Disconnect two heater hoses from engine.
  31. Disconnect fuel hoses from right side of transmission. Caution: Plug fuel pipes on engine side and fuel hoses from fuel tank.
  32. Remove transmission assembly.
  33. Support the engine by engine hoist.
  34. Remove two left side engine mount fixing bolts from engine mount on chassis side.
  35. Remove two right side engine mount fixing bolts from engine mount on chassis side.
  36. Remove engine assembly.
Installation

Caution: When assembling the engine and transmission, confirm that dowels have been mounted in the specified positions at the engine side. Take care that dowel positions are different between the manual transmission and the automatic transmission.

If the engine is assembled in the condition that the dowels have not been mounted in the specified positions, the transmission may be damaged the transmission.

1. Install engine assembly. Tighten engine mount fixing bolts to frame to the specified torque. Torque: 41 Nm (30 ft. lbs.)
  2. Reconnect fuel hose to fuel pipe on engine.
  3. Install transmission assembly.
  4. Reconnect two heater hoses to engine.
  5. Install flywheel dust covers.

1. Install exhaust pipe and temporally tighten two (each bank) rear exhaust flange nuts then tighten three stud nuts (each bank) between exhaust manifold and exhaust pipe, finally tighten rear side nuts to the specified torque. Torque: Nuts: 43 Nm (32 ft. lbs.) Stud nuts: 67 Nm (49 ft. lbs.)

1. Reconnect 02 sensor connector.
  2. Install cooling fan assembly and tighten bolts/nuts to the specified torque. Torque: 22 Nm (16 ft. lbs.) for fan pulley and fan bracket. Torque: 10 Nm (88.5 inch lbs.) for fan and clutch assembly.
  3. Install air conditioner compressor to engine and tighten to the specified torque. 6VE1 Torque: M8 bolts: 22 Nm (16 ft. lbs.) M10 bolts: 43 Nm (32 ft. lbs.)
  4. Install power steering pump, tighten fixing bolt to the specified torque. Torque: M8 bolts: 22 Nm (16 ft. lbs.) M10 bolts: 46 Nm (34 ft. lbs.)

1. Move drive belt tensioner to loose side using wrench, then install drive belt to normal position.
  2. Install upper fan shroud.
  3. Reconnect radiator upper and lower hoses.
  4. Reconnect coolant reserve tank hose to radiator.
  5. Reconnect generator harness connector.
  6. Reconnect starter harness connector.
  7. Reconnect bonding cable terminal on left bank
  8. Reconnect bonding cable terminal on the back of right dash panel.
  9. Reconnect ground cable between engine and chassis.
  10. Reconnect harness connector to transmission and install transmission harness bracket on engine left side.
  11. Reconnect three engine harness connectors.
  12. Reconnect vacuum booster hose.
  13. Reconnect canister vacuum hose.
  14. Install air cleaner assembly.
  15. Reconnect air duct.

1. Reconnect throttle position sensor harness connector.
  2. Reconnect manifold absolute pressure sensor harness connectors.

1. Reconnect ion sensing module connectors as shown in illustration.
  2. Install engine hood to the original position.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:01 AM
Default What a great answer!

NEUWBEA;

What was the source for your answer NEUWBEA? I just bought an 86 Trooper with the engine all torn apart and sitting in the rear; A REAL BASKET CASE.
I have the Chilton manual to help me; but it doesn't lay it out like the directions you just gave. Where could I find an answer for my 86 Trooper like the one you gave to Klint? Mine is the worst basket case I have ever seen; everything is all mixed up and tossed into boxes. Today i am going to start by cleaning all the gunk off everything; and then trying to put the parts into some kind of order. Directions like you gave Klint would be a fantastic help for me.

Regards
Ken

Old 08-04-2010, 11:56 AM

EngineEngineLet me know if you need more details. Sorry if I do not get back to you in a timely manner.

Tim

Old 08-05-2010, 07:59 AM

Hi Tim;
Thanks for your answer; but when I click on the word "EngineEngine nothing happens. If you notice there is a red X beside the word Engine. So I am assuming something didnt didnt get sent correctly; but I really dont know. I am sadly lacking in computer skills; so please let me know what I am supposed to do.
Thanks
Ken