Trooper Talk about Isuzu Trooper related topics here...

Needing quick input on 86 Trooper II

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 11:37 AM
Default Needing quick input on 86 Trooper II

Hello,
I just joined the forum today and I'm hoping you can help me out. I've been looking for a car or truck that could potentially be the last car I have to buy. Something I can work on myself and have good parts availability now and into the future. My search has landed on a 1986 Trooper II with 181,000 miles. Looks solid, no rust, starts and runs fine for $1000. 2.3l, 5 speed, AC and interior looks good. I can rebuild motors, do brakes etc. I dislike electrical problems (don't we all?) and I despise computers which I'm told the 86 does not have. It's also got a carb, no injection which I like.

I know I'm asking a biased crowd here but in general, how reliable are the old Troopers? What can I expect in terms of finding parts and pricing. What kind of mileage can I expect. Any other advice?

Please don't flame me, I know that I can probably find some of these answers in the archives but I'm in a pinch for time and just can't spend the hours necessary before I have to make a decision on this particular truck.

Thank you!
Randy
Silvana, WA

Old 07-31-2010, 04:56 PM
Default I also need an input on the same vehicle; same reasons.

Hi Randy;

Other than the fact that you need quick input and I don't; your post is exactly what I was going to write; same reasons and everything.

On mine, i just bought it an hour ago; it's kind of a basket case; heads are off, motor and all parts sitting in the rear ready for me to wonder what he did with all the parts I can't find. lol

The previous owner tells me the "heads are not good" and not much else. He swears the drive train is good; the body and interior look good; been sitting just like this for almost 3 years right across the street from me. I paid him $300.00 for it.

Now, like Randy, I would like opinions on this 1986 Trooper i just bought. I remember this car was car of the year for a couple of years; at least I think it was this one. So what say you; is the trooper as good as I think it is? Parts easy or hard to get; expensive or reasonable. How hard is it to work on these?
I have quite a bit of experience as a shade tree mekinek; bit I am no expert by one heck of a long way. I will be asking questions here; hope I can get some helpful answers.

Regards
Ken

Old 08-03-2010, 06:32 AM
Thumbs down Disapointing results from forum members.

Wow Randy, your post has been up for six days; my related post for five days; TWENTYNINE people looked at our question, and not one, NOT A SINGLE PERSON, took the time to reply to our request for opinions on the 1986 Trooper.

I belong to a lot of different Forums ranging from archery, to handguns, concealed carry, hunting and fishing, and many more topics; I have never seen such a lack of response to a simple question. Particularly when a couple of newbies are asking. Usually members in Forums are a little more friendly than this. I am really disapointed in the lack of response.
Ken

Old 08-04-2010, 09:05 AM

This forum is dead. Check out http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/

I asked the same exact question and received all the answers you seek. I'm passing on the Trooper I found but will be getting one in the near future.

Good luck!
Randy

Old 08-04-2010, 10:56 AM

Randy I thank you for taking the time to contact me. I am going to check out the forum you suggested; I also found a forum that seems to be very active; with many replys from people that seem to know these Troopers reall well. I will let you know if it is different than the one you sent to me.
I forget at the moment how much detail i put in the posting that you read; but here is my experiences.
I am 75 and my legs are pretty well disabled now; but I still took on a pretty big project for me . I bought an 86 trooper that the body and interior are in excellent condition; the guy I bought it from lives across the street from me; he bought it for his daughter. Right from the getgo it would overheat after a short time driving; then it quit while really overheated. (kinda scary) He tore the motor out and says the "head is broken"; but didnt know where or what. Then he did nothing to it for 4 years; it just sat in his back yard. I bought it for $300.00 and took it home. Right away I saw what he had missed, there is a small chunk of the head missing; about the size of a little fingernail, between the spark plug and the valve. I dont see much else wrong with the head; but since it was overheated it may have some small cracks in it. i am going to have it magnafluxed to make sure that if there are any other cracks in it they are repairable. If there are no cracks in it that are down deep that can't be welded, then I am in good shape. The guy I bought it from works full time, and I dont get the impression that he has rebuilt any motors before; so between the two he gives the impression it was all just too much for him. He was asking $745 for it; but when I told him I was interested he dropped the price right away to $300.00; no dickering involved; as I said he is a nice guy because he could have gotten darn close to his asking price. The difficult part comes in two parts: FIRST: it is a total basket case with all the parts in a big heap in the back of the Trooper; sorting everything out and figuering what goes where is going to be really time consuming; SECOND: this is going to be pretty tough on me to do because I am disabled with a lot of pain; plus I am 75 years old.
But on the bright side; as a young man I used to restore and rebuild old cars as a hobby for about 15 years; it's something I really enjoy doing; the big question is; am I still able to do it.
In searching on the internet I found out that these early troopers had a pretty big problem with blowing head gaskets, over heating, and cracked heads. This problem was not corrected until the next generation Trooper. The key it seems is to make damn sure that you keep the valves adjusted at all times; if you do that then these early ones are bullet proof and tougher than the devil! So if like me, you prefer the early models; go for it; just keep those valves adjusted; it's such a simple thing to do I figure on adjusting them whenever I do an oil and filter change. I spent yesterday just washing off and out all the leaves, muck and crud that has gathered over the years while sitting in his back yard. Today I am going to take the head in to be checked out and welded; when I get back I will wash off all the grease and gunk from all the parts; and try to sort them out; placing the parts in baggies and small boxes so that things are better organized. Then when the head comes back the real work, and fun, begins. While it is all apart i am going to put in new rings and rod and main bearings; plus closely examine all the other parts to make sure they are not defective in any way. Once the motor is rebuilt then the real work will begin trying to figure out where everything goes; installing the parts and hoping I dont end up with some extra parts and not know where they go.

As I said this used to be fun for me; it still will be IF, and that's a big IF, i can still do the work physically. Time will tell!

Anyway Randy I wish you luck in getting one of these little jewels. Look for me on the forums, my handle is woodsman1st; maybe we can help each other out in finding parts or sharing knowledge. Here is my email address; contact me if you want to once you find one for yourself. woodsman1st@msn.com
Again I thank you for contacting me with that info on another forum.
Take care
Ken