Trooper Talk about Isuzu Trooper related topics here...

Front Axle issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 10:17 AM

My front pass. side axle is loose in he hub. everytime i try to push it back in, it pops out again once i start moving. It seems like i need to have a clip or something to keep it in place but i dont know where it would go. Any information would be great. Thanks.

Old 12-13-2008, 08:10 PM

There is a snap ring on the outside of the axle. When you remove the cap covering the locking hub assembly. It sits on the end of the axle. There are also some shims behind this assembly that might need to be checked. I had the same problem on my 92 and decided to just replace the axles on both sides. If you can avoid taking it to a shop, I would advise you to DYI or find a really nice friend with lift. The total book time on the job to replace both axles is almost 10 hours.[img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img]

Hope this helps.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:54 AM

Snap rings sometimes come off cuz the grease is too dirty or sticky. Although my book says to use wheel bearing grease, some old-time 4-wheelers suggest cleaning thoroughly then lubing with oil, not grease. I did that and haven''t had a problem since. Lubricant just helps it move from Lock to Unlock, it''s not that bigga deal.

Also, while it is easy enough to just put the snap-ring back on, those bearings behind there need to be cleaned, regreased and adjusted occaisionally, so do it while you''re in there.

Spearchucker