Trooper Talk about Isuzu Trooper related topics here...

Brake rotors?

Old 10-31-2009, 08:26 PM
Default Brake rotors?

My 95 Trooper is in desperate need of brakes, and I really need to finish the half-completed job. I have the front rotor/hub assembly off. Now how do you remove the bolts holding the rotor to the hub? Do you just hit them with an impact wrench? I don't have one, and tons of PB Blaster and a breaker bar aren't cutting it. Am I missing something here?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Need to drive the truck.

Sean

Old 11-03-2009, 07:23 PM

Got it! Someone somewhere mentioned using a 2x4. So I wedged a 2x4 (cut to the right length) under the wheel stud (with a lug nut on it to protect the threads) in the 9 o'clock position, which kept the whole mess from rotating while I tried to break my breaker bar. I nearly stripped the hell out of one of the bolt tops and broke a quality socket because the damn thing was so stuck. But this worked, and the rotors and hubs separated just fine. The rest of the brake job was simple and straight forward, for the front end.

For the rear, I had a heck of a time getting the rotors off and resorted to a 5lb hammer, since I was going to replace them anyway. Needed a left rear caliper too, since the old one had thrown a pad and saw fit to grind its piston into the rotor and begin leaking fluid all over. And on the right, I stripped the top of the caliper's lower slide bolt pretty well too, and never did get it to turn. Got the top bolt and the caliper off fine though, and all is well.

I've had the truck a week now, and it looked almost like I gave it the first brake job in its 160,000 miles, haha. All new pads, rotors, fluid, one new caliper, and regreased wheel bearings. All is good and the thing stops like a champ! Except the ABS - I reassembled it all without the ABS sensors that attach to the backs of the front rotors - couldn't get the hex head bolts out. I'll cut them out and put the ABS junk on when I get time, hopefully before we get much snow, but I'm not worried about it yet.

One last thing: after having a bunch of small and sporty cars, it sure seems easy to do things under a Trooper. For example, I bled the brakes the old fashioned way, but by myself using a 2x4 to hold the pedal down, with the vehicle on the ground, in just a few minutes. Couldn't do that with my RX-7s, Civic Si, or Impreza! Glad I decided against spending money on Speed Bleeders, though they are a great product.

Sean

Old 11-15-2009, 04:57 PM
Default Brake rotors

I need help with my brake setup....I currently have the z32 brake conversion on my s13 and i want to get new rotors but still have 4 lug hubs. My rotors right now are z32 rotors drilled out for 114.3 4 lug and they are junk. I need to replace them. Im sure a machine shop could do this and i might have to go that route but i didnt know if someone could help me out on this and they may know a better alternative. Thanks for the help guys and nice job on the new look for the website.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:51 PM

Excuse me for being new to Isuzus (Isuznewb?), but what is the z32 brake conversion, and the s13? Maybe check planetisuzoo.com, too. I have no problem with the forums here, but there is more traffic there.

Old 11-21-2009, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by MEphenSean
Got it! Someone somewhere mentioned using a 2x4. So I wedged a 2x4 (cut to the right length) under the wheel stud (with a lug nut on it to protect the threads) in the 9 o'clock position, which kept the whole mess from rotating while I tried to break my breaker bar. I nearly stripped the hell out of one of the bolt tops and broke a quality socket because the damn thing was so stuck. But this worked, and the rotors and hubs separated just fine. The rest of the brake job was simple and straight forward, for the front end.

For the rear, I had a heck of a time getting the rotors off and resorted to a 5lb hammer, since I was going to replace them anyway. Needed a left rear caliper too, since the old one had thrown a pad and saw fit to grind its piston into the rotor and begin leaking fluid all over. And on the right, I stripped the top of the caliper's lower slide bolt pretty well too, and never did get it to turn. Got the top bolt and the caliper off fine though, and all is well.

I've had the truck a week now, and it looked almost like I gave it the first brake job in its 160,000 miles, haha. All new pads, rotors, fluid, one new caliper, and regreased wheel bearings. All is good and the thing stops like a champ! Except the ABS - I reassembled it all without the ABS sensors that attach to the backs of the front rotors - couldn't get the hex head bolts out. I'll cut them out and put the ABS junk on when I get time, hopefully before we get much snow, but I'm not worried about it yet.

One last thing: after having a bunch of small and sporty cars, it sure seems easy to do things under a Trooper. For example, I bled the brakes the old fashioned way, but by myself using a 2x4 to hold the pedal down, with the vehicle on the ground, in just a few minutes. Couldn't do that with my RX-7s, Civic Si, or Impreza! Glad I decided against spending money on Speed Bleeders, though they are a great product.

Sean
lol i know who did it