Trooper Talk about Isuzu Trooper related topics here...

99Trooper EMP’d on the way to work.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 12:12 PM

I was driving to work this morning in my 99 Trooper and lightning struck a transformer on the electrical pole next to me. At that point...
<UL>
<LI>All indicators on my dash lit up (4wd, cruise, check engine, check trans, check 4wd, etc., etc.) </LI>
<LI>My wipers (front and rear) came on and won't turn off.</LI>
<LI>The car switched into 'winter drive' mode (where it provides less power from a stop so your wheels are less likely to break loose in snow) which makes it a pain to start from a light (people are very impatient.)</LI>
<LI>The electric locks no longer work</LI>
<LI>The speedometer no longer works.</LI>[/list]

Believe it or not, it still runs and drives. I pulled over a few miles down the road and unhooked the battery while the dome light was on, in an attempt to reset the computer. All symptoms remain, except that the check trans light turned off.

Soo... after you all stop laughing, I was wondering if someone could offer advice. I need to know if all of the above functions (or at least the functions that are verifiably not working correctly)are controlled by the main computer or if there is some sort of accessory control module that I might be able to replace instead. Or if you think I'm on the wrong track, feel free to make an alternate suggestion.

Thanks

-Rob

(p.s. EMP = Electromagnetic Pulse)Edited by: rmacmorran

Old 03-01-2007, 01:02 PM

Sounds like a you had a near miss experience with a lightning bolt yourself, too! You might try taking it to an auto parts store that reads codes for free, on the chance that you may learn something that way.

I took a quick look at a service manual, there is only one ecm (pcm..powertrain control module) and several modules and devices that control the TOD, 4WD, Alarm, etc;

Bottom line is it sounds like you can start with the easy stuff like checking the codes, check alternator output.....DON"T disconnect the battery while running....could spike (EMP) the ECM if it is not already. Just check for proper voltage running and not running. If your alternator got fried, this could cause a lot of what you are seeing.

As you learn more, post if you need code info. Clearing the codes now and then driving it should tell you something of the state of the electronics.

Good luck.

Old 03-01-2007, 01:25 PM

I did clear the codes by disconnecting the battery for a couple of minutes, so that didn't help. But your suggestion about the alternatator is a very good one. I will check the output at lunch time.

Update: I went to Autozone and had them check my alternator / regulator, and it tested fine. I had them put a scanner on the OBDII port and the scanner was unable to connect to my ECM. :| At the very least I will have to replace the computer. I'll disconnect the battery for a couple of hours first just to prove that the computer doesn't just need resetting. Anyone recall where the computer is on this car? I am thinking that it's in the console under the radio.

ThanksEdited by: rmacmorran

Old 03-02-2007, 02:12 PM

yes, it is near front console.

Edited by: atfdmike