Trooper Talk about Isuzu Trooper related topics here...

99 trooper tranny woes

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 04:28 PM
Default 99 trooper tranny woes

hi all.
about 3 months ago my son in law drained the tranny (thinking it was the oil) and double filled the oil. car doesn't go of course and he and his army buddie swear they drained the oil not the tranny. since they are newlyweds and live on military pay I fly out to ft. knox from denver to have a look. sure enough I find the tranny empty and the engine with 10 qts of oil. pulled the pan, no metal or shavings, clean it all out and replace the filter and gasket. re-fil and drain out all the engine oil and it runs like a champ. never any slippage or indicator lights on. have diagnostic software and no codes on anything. decided to pull off, clean and regrease the shift acuator while I was there after reading threads of "tranny confusion" due to grunge inside of unit.

so my daughter came out for a visit last week and goes home sunday. husband picks her up and on the way home from the airport the "a-t oil temp" light comes on and they pull over and call me immediately. Get out the manual and follow instructions and the light goes out. So they head home and the trooper drives as if no fluid in the tranny. No codes, no clunking just have to accelerate to get it going and they crawled all the way home. its obviously in limp mode. I had him check the fluid level and top off and he says it's full. not trusting his judgement and no change in the car I have my daughter take it to meinike (no other shops close ) and I talk to the guy. He says yea we flush it, put in a new filter and fill it. then he calls me back and says "oh its a closed system (no ****) so we are manually going to take it apart and put in a new filter and fill. well $92 later she gets the car and no change. I thought to myself there is no way they changed the filter due to the fact the supports have to come off to get the pan out and it's a two hour job. i had her try the "winter mode to start off in 2/3rd" no change. I had her start off in low and manually shift up and no change. no erratic lights on the dash so i cant imagine its the accuator. my only thought is the new filter is clogged somehow by sitting for a week. anyone have any other ideas? sorry for the long post but wanted to give u the facts,,,,,
Thanks!!!! please post any thoughts.
They have a baby and one on the way and my son in law is just not mechanical enough to figure it out.