Amigo Talk about Isuzu Amigo related topics here...

Ignition Coil/ Ignition Woes

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 02:19 PM

Hello everyone, this is my first post at this forum! I am looking for some help. I have a 99 amigo v6.I have had a check engine light on fora while now,I have had it in the garage four or five times just to see it come back on. The codes mostly are reading either random engine misfire or one of the six cylinders misfiring. I have had four of my ignition coils replaced, throttle body cleaned, fuel pump checked, dry gas treatment, and tons of cleaner. The main symptoms are: starters cranks for 2-5 seconds before engine starts, strong petrol smell at start up, poor idling, cold stalling,intermittent loss of power during driving, reduced gas mileage and performance.

Could it be that I need to replace all of the coils or could some other bug be coming into play?Edited by: dohash

Old 04-16-2007, 12:12 AM

I have the exact same car and I have had the exact same problems and fixed one and am living with the other because im lazy. FYI my car is a 99 v6. Ok first, the rough idling and stalling is from bad factory grounds, I found that on a random website and thought id give it a try since i had already vacuum leaked tested it and came up with none. Ok basically I just ran 2 short grounds, 12 guage stranded, from the negetive battery terminal to the body. The second ground I added was from the body(passenger side right above the wheel there was an empty hole from a screw) to the engine block. Well believe it or not, it worked, I havent stalled or had rough idle since then, idles perfectly at like 600 rpms. Also you will want to scrape away the paint where your bolt it in on the body and then repaint over it after u have installed it to make sure rust doesnt happen

As for the other issue of the starting taking like 5 seconds to start up, well that is from the fuel pressure regulator(not sure if thats the isuzu term). Basically what is happening is that your FPR is not keeping the fuel pressure when the car is off. So basically that 5 seconds of turning the engine over without it starting is because your fuel pump has to work to regain that fuel pressure. So if you want to fix that then u need to replace your fpr. For me its not worth it and I live with it, and i have figured that if you turn the ignition to on for about a half a second it turns the fuel pump on and is able to regain enough fuel pressure to start up right away.

Old 04-16-2007, 12:21 PM

Okay, I'll give that a try, did you get a check engine light along with those things? Also does anyone no why I might be loosing power while driving?

Old 04-18-2007, 01:52 AM

No i didnt but that doesnt mean anything, that engine light could be from a bunch of other things.

Loosing power while driving, no clue but i wouldnt doubt that its the reason for the engine light. basically its a problem with one of the following, airflow, fuel pressure or spark. Thats all an engine needs to run so first I would make sure ur spark plug coils are working properly, then i would check your fuel pressure and then i would run a pressure test on the intake system.

Old 05-23-2007, 07:10 PM

those misfires. more then likely have damaged the catalytic convertersand they are cloged up causing all the drivibilty problems Edited by: scrappin88

Old 05-25-2007, 01:32 PM

Well I did the grounds project and it seemed to help the start up stall and grumbles a good bit. The 5 seconds with the key to the "on" position does work for me. My check engine light is still on and the engine misses/hesitations during regular driving are still prevalent, I dont know if its the igniton coils, intake exhaust, fuel or what. I have a good bit of work to do to figure this out, if anyone has had similar problems a post would be appreciated!

Old 06-18-2007, 03:15 PM

Well the amigo is in the shop. After having a check engine light blinking and smelling raw fuel out the exhaust and only being able to go 45 up a hill I usually go 65 I decided it was time.

The mechanic had to first replace my starter because the connections fused in the shop and he had to take off the negative just to stop the starter from cranking. But after that he diagnosed that compresion was okay in all cyclinders so engine seals and valves were okay. But he noted from diagnostic tests that the rear driver side cylinder was dead. He took a look and found it to be soaked with gasoline inside. He thought that it was a bad injector flooding the cyclinder and causing raw fuel to enter the exhaust. But after looking some more he found that the Fuel Pressure Regulator is shot. That had been mentioned before in this post and he says that the fuel is in a loop feeding each cylinder and the first cyclinder on the loop that is directly fed from the FPR is the rear driver side cyclinder, imagine that.

So I have to wait until thursday, June 21st for the part to come in and be installed and we'll see what happens

Old 06-23-2007, 06:47 PM

Well he replaced the fuel pressure regulator, starter, and plugsand the car starts right up, does not shut off or stall at idle. 727 dollars later. But it still has horrible power like I'm driving a golf cart rather than a 3.2 v6

Scrappin88 had posted about damaged catalytic converters and guess what he was right. The raw gas broke them down and now on wednesday i will be getting my catalytic converters cut out and new ones welded back in. since if I were try to replace them at a dealer I would have to buy "catalytic converter assemblies" that come at a high cost. So I am taking it in a to a local garage who also is a good welder.