Trooper Talk about Isuzu Trooper related topics here...

2002 Trooper TOD 2WD lights not working

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 10:28 AM
Default 2002 Trooper TOD 2WD lights not working

My 2002 Trooper Limited transmission failed a year ago at about 95K miles. I bought a factory rebuilt transmission and all has been fine for the last year. I had the transmission serviced last week and it checked out fine.

After the servicing, the 2WD lights on the instrument panel stopped working. At least I'm pretty sure that's when they stopped working. I returned to the shop that did the work and they checked out the wires connected to the transmission and couldn't find a problem. They don't work on Troopers exclusively so I know they don't have a lot of experience with this vehicle.

I understand that the 2WD indicator is made up of two separate bulbs so it's hard for me to believe they both failed at the same time.

I ordered but don't yet have the service manual so I can look at a schematic of the electrical for this issue.

I'm wondering if anyone out there has any suggestion about what I might look for. I've checked the fuses and they all look okay. Is there a relay that might have failed? Could there actually be something significant (besides the lights) that's not working correctly that I need to get resolved.

Any suggestions or advice would be very appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

Old 10-16-2010, 10:04 PM

OK, what happens when you push the button for 4WD High. Does the TOD display change to indicate it's in that mode ?

Old 10-25-2010, 10:13 AM
Default It's solved

Fouwd1,

Thanks so much for your reply and I'm Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I've been out of town and had no way to check in.

The problem ended up, as so many do, being the obvious one - it was a burned out #74 bulb. I wasn't sure there was one bulb for both light positions on the instrument cluster but after I bought the manual I realized that it was. I then pulled the cluster and replaced the bulb. I was initially suspicious that it was something other than the bulb since I had just had a transmission service and thought that perhaps a wire had been left disconnected.

Again, very kind of you to respond to my post.

mbg530

Old 10-27-2010, 04:19 PM

No problem, glad it was something simple.