Trooper Talk about Isuzu Trooper related topics here...

Lights, Lights, and Lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 12:22 AM

I have 94 trooper. I recently had a problem with my dash lights. The gas light, brake light, battery light, auto cruise light, followed by a blinking transmission light was coming on. Not only was it annoying but was causing transmission problems when the transmission light was coming on in the lower gears. I noticed though that volt gauge was bouncing around and pegging out and my headlights would fade in and out. That lead me straight to the alternator. So I changed it, problem solved, until this new one.

I haven't been driving it lately to save a little gas I been driving a little 4 banger I have. So I jump in it get fired up start driving down the road and I here what sounds like a switch opening and closing. When it goes one way, similar dash lights come on again. Fortunately not the transmission light, but all the others I stated in the previous paragraph.Something new though the blower stops working. Another interesting thing is that for the most part as long as I am moving forward everything works as advertised, execept when I come to stop or a slight rock forward. One more thing I had to by a new battery tonight it was a old battery and at the end of the road but it looks likeI am barely reading 11 volts on my gauge.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am at the end of electrical expertice.

Old 02-14-2007, 06:52 PM

Hi, it sounds like the alternator went bad. I have a 94 too. I know you just replaced it, but often a rebuilt may experience failures soon after installation. I have had it happen to me. The blower not working is one of the telltale signs along with the weird behavior of the dash lights. check your electrical connectors at the alternator and make sure they are not touching the alternator body or grounding intermittently. Good luck Edited by: atfdmike

Old 02-14-2007, 11:25 PM

Tonight I started up my Trooper and disconnected the battery, sure enough it died. You are right I am glad the alternator came with a warrenty. Thanks for your reply.

Old 08-27-2007, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Trooperguy

...problem with my dash lights. The gas light, brake light, battery light, auto cruise light ... and I here what sounds like a switch opening and closing. When it goes one way, similar dash lights come on again... Something new though the blower stops working ... it looks likeI am barely reading 11 volts on my gauge.

This is exactly what my 93 Trooper is doing... Trooperguy - did you get your problem solved?

Old 08-28-2007, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Trooperguy

Tonight I started up my Trooper and disconnected the battery, sure enough it died. You are right I am glad the alternator came with a warrenty. Thanks for your reply.

It does sound like a alternator problem. I will warn everyone NOT to disconnect the battery while the engine is running. That is not a reliable way to check atlernator output and I have see it to cause damage to electrical devises on the vech like the cars computer, and that will be more expensive to replace.