Trooper Talk about Isuzu Trooper related topics here...

1996 Trooper G Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 05:21 PM
Default 1996 Trooper G Sensor

Looking for help! I have a 1996 Trooper that needs a particular sensor. From what I can find, its called a G sensor or G-Force sensor. Ive also seen it call a rough road sensor. The truck runs and drives fine without it however there is zero "get up and go". It is located behind the right rear tire behind the fender, I can find it all over the internet but everywhere I go it comes up "no longer available. I also know that it can come off of the 96-97 Trooper, Rodeo, Honda Passport and the Acura SLX. The part number is 8971159370. If anyone has an idea where I can get one let me know! I have been unsuccessful at my local junkyards/pick and pulls.

Thanks,

Jason

Old 10-03-2019, 08:22 AM

Honestly, I too have had the g sensor error code, and it never affected the get up and go power of the motor.

Old 10-17-2019, 11:36 AM
Default G sensor

Hi all, newb here... Did you ever find one? I have a 96 trooper I've been trying to sell, needs head work. Someone offered to buy the g-sensor, and it makes me wonder if I'd be better off parting it out. I have the room, and a shop with a lift, but of course I'd like to avoid being stuck with the stripped carcass when it's done. How much demand is there for parts on these rigs? I know that a new flexplate for a 98 was $300, and no others to be found. Thoughts?

Old 10-17-2019, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Eddies96Trooper
Hi all, newb here... Did you ever find one? I have a 96 trooper I've been trying to sell, needs head work. Someone offered to buy the g-sensor, and it makes me wonder if I'd be better off parting it out. I have the room, and a shop with a lift, but of course I'd like to avoid being stuck with the stripped carcass when it's done. How much demand is there for parts on these rigs? I know that a new flexplate for a 98 was $300, and no others to be found. Thoughts?
Does your G sensor work? as in no error code like check engine light. That sensor can have 4 error codes.
Sensor is located passenger side inboard of tire on the upper frame with a wire plug.
How much would you want for it?

Old 10-17-2019, 05:47 PM

Does your G sensor work? as in no error code like check engine light. That sensor can have 4 error codes.
Sensor is located passenger side inboard of tire on the upper frame with a wire plug.

Old 10-17-2019, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by sdowney717
I don't know, plus I'd probably be best to sell it locally so we could verify its integrity after installation. I imagine it may take a test drive or two to make sure it's a functioning part.

Old 10-18-2019, 07:34 AM

I don't know, plus I'd probably be best to sell it locally so we could verify its integrity after installation. I imagine it may take a test drive or two to make sure it's a functioning part.
For a 1995 it is involved with the ABS system and located under the center console inside the cab.
For a 1996 it is involved with if the vehicle bounces around offroading and g forces exceed a certain amount, it triggers extra diagnostic misfire checking by the ECU as the inertial vehicle movement might affect crankshaft rotation....
How dumb is that!, and of course it throws a check engine light.
My sense is its a different part maybe, so only used starting in 1996 for our version, and dont know how long they did that misfire checking.

In my case there may be a way to create a fake G sensor using a potentiometer. The sensor wire needs to send about 2.5 vdc back to the computer, outside that range is an abnormal condition. I have all the info, just not had the time.

The G-sensor is also known as the Rough-Road sensor. (1996 Trooper) 96 Trooper-G-sensor-big.png

From Alldata.com:

The Gravity (G) sensor is a vertical Low-g (gravity) acceleration sensor. By sensing vertical acceleration caused by bumps or potholes in the road, the powertrain control module (PCM) can determine if the changes in crankshaft speed are due to engine misfire or are driveline induced. If the G sensor detects a rough road condition the PCM misfire detection diagnostic will be deactivated. The G sensor at rest output should be between 2.35 - 2.65 volts (+1G). During a rough road condition the voltage output can vary between 0.5 volt (-1G) and 4.5 volts (+3G).

Last edited by sdowney717; 10-18-2019 at 07:40 AM.