Trooper Talk about Isuzu Trooper related topics here...

1990 with unknown problem.....any thoughts??

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 08:49 PM
Default 1990 with unknown problem.....any thoughts??

Hey all, well I know the log in name is 91trooperII...had to get rid of that one a few years back....BUT got my hands on another beautiful 1990 from a buddy....

So heres the run down...he's pretty much had everything redone on it, had the engine rebuilt, all new parts....from disk brakes, tie rods, vaccum lines, everything! Reaaally gorgeous truck for sure...but theres one problem now...and not even he has any idea...

So Ive had it for about a month now...the first 2 weeks it was still warmer outside, and she ran like a bat outta hell! Started up, ran stopped everything...

It started getting colder at one point, I drove it home during lunch, parked it for about 30 minutes went back out to leave and it would turn over...but would not start for anything....tried it a good 3-4 times cranking and cranking, but nothing....

So she sat parked on the side of the driveway for about 4-5 days...just got curious and went out there to start her up...it turned over and actually started...(really really low sputtering idle...bout 5 seconds then died)...I tried it again, this time giving it more gas, and it started and idled fine...and drove fine for another 3-4 days...then same thing...got home, was sitting in it on the phone and it just died...no sputter, nothing, just like the battery cable was straight up disconnected. And it wont start again now....

I have since just put a new fuel filter on it...Not sure what else to do...I called my buddy and he said he had just put a new fuel pump in it about 2 weeks before I got it. Same with Spark plugs, (although I haven't checked to see if theres spark)...Doesn't seem like a spark problem going on...

So if anyone at all has any thoughts, or has had this sort of problem and has some insight to share I would appreciate it! Thanks again...

Old 11-22-2012, 06:12 PM

bump....anyone???

Old 11-25-2012, 09:58 PM

It has a bad fuel pump. I know you said he just replaced it but the aftermarket pumps are garbage. Sitting with the new ethanolated fuel is the worst thing for them. Next time it won't start tap on the fuel tank drain plug a few times with a hammer or tire iron and usually that will get you home. I'm not going to go around and around debating this I GUARANTEE that is the problem. Take a look at these and you'll understand where I'm coming from.
/johnnhy5ive?feature=results_mainhttps://isuzuforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39243