Trooper Talk about Isuzu Trooper related topics here...

1988 Trooper 4WD not pulling

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 04:46 PM
Default 1988 Trooper 4WD not pulling

The 4WD has worked great and this thing will go anywhere, however suddenly and without any event the front end will not pull. There is no grinding, clicking or visual problem. The transfer case shifts smoothly as always and the 4wd dash light lights up when engaged. I have tried high and low, backing it up, shifting in and out, etc. to no avail. Someone mentioned an Actuator could be the problem. Anyone have any suggestions?

Old 12-13-2010, 01:50 AM

Asics Gel Lyte III Babridgement/Yellow: SideI am alphaing to anticipate that these shoes are traveling to appear in anytimey color adjustination apprehensible. Asics backwardst color-way for the Gell Lyte III shoe is black and yellow with gray 32c91a41972f5b3bd7asleepe58fabb6a1s with a atome and bawlow sole.Aladmitting these accept been seen in abounding altered blush-way aggregates,Onitsuka Tiger X Tokidoki Fabre, as apparent here, here, and actuality,Onitsuka Tiger Kanuchi, these will absolutely pop out from the addeds with the adverse of the chicken adjoin the atramentous and the use of duraburnish, covering,Onitsuka Mexico Midrunner, and cogitating abstracts. [Via Schuh You] Asics Gel Lyte III Black/Yellow: Top Asics Gel Lyte III Black/Yellow: Front Split Asics Gel Lyte III Black/Yellow: Back Close-Up Asics Gel Lyte III Black/Yellow: Side Asics Gel Lyte III Black/Yellow: Front Asics Gel Lyte III Black/Yellow: Side Tilted Asics Gel Lyte III Black/Yellow: Back Posted on December 11, 2009 - Asics - 8 Views

Old 12-17-2010, 03:31 PM

My first guess is that the front hubs are not locking. There is a circlip on the end of the front axles that has a tendency to come off, When this happens, the axles do not pull the lock ring into position by compressing a spring in the clutch assembly. As you have not heard any noise from the hubs, you may be able to simply unbolt the locking hub assembly and reattach a new circlip on the end of the axle and be done. This will require that you push the axle back out towards the outer part of the hub - you will get greasy.

The worse scenario is that the splines on the axle of self destroyed and now you have to replace the axle in order to get the hubs to work again. You can go around this by installing manual locking hubs as the splines necessary are farther back on the axle shaft. Even if the groove for the circlip using the manual hubs is destroyed, you can still get around that. Let me know what you prefer to do first, and I can suggest a way around it.

Old 12-19-2010, 05:50 PM

Thanks for the comments. We had aready discovered the loose snap ring and replaced it with a new one. The difficulty is getting the axle to extend far enough to get the snap ring on. The trick is to use an 8mm bolt screwed into the end of the axle (after removing the end cover and wheel) We then attached a t-handle to the bolt for better leverage, placed a floor jack under the radial arm to get the axle at it optimum extention. However a small amount of grit and grim behind the wheel hub can interfere with the axle fully extending, so we had to clean that out properly. Once we got the new snap ring on and packed with grease and closed it all up the front end now works fine...

Old 12-20-2010, 08:14 AM

Glad to hear that you already have fixed it. The method for getting the axle out that you used sounds a bit terse. Just in case it happens again, I find it easy to just use a piece of steel strap across the hub that has a large enough hole cut in the middle of it. Then I use a series of washers and shims and a grade 10.9 bolt and tighten it up. I find that it pulls the axle into position fairly easily and quickly and I have as much time as I need to get the clip on.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:55 AM

glad it worked out for ya!