Rodeo Talk about Isuzu Rodeo related topics here...

Spark plug changing problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 06:29 PM

I''m changing the plugs on my ''01 Rodeo Sport (3.2 V6, 4X4) and I''ve run into a snag: on two of the cylinders the coil over pack pulled out with the sleeve still attached to the plug. The other cylinders were easy and the coil over pack/sleeve pulled out easily as one unit.
I can pull the gasket seal of the sleeve up a little but it seems like a vacuum is holding it in. Also, I''m wary about damaging the seal by using pliers or screwdrivers. The worst part is that one of the stuck sleeves is the cylinder crammed in near the brake master cylinder.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,

Jack

Old 10-14-2008, 07:27 PM

If you have access to an air compressor get a good seal on the boot with an air chuck and hit it with 100 psi or so. If you dont, spray lots of penetrating oil down in there and try working an ice pick or skinny screw driver down in there all the way around. If you tear a boot you can order after market replacements from auto zone. Seems its always ''01+ rodeos I hear about them sticking on, and always #6 cylinder. One thing to remember the boot and coil pack for #6 (the one by the brake booster) are different then the rest. The boot is shorter to help get around the brake booster. So dont mix them up.

I''ve also heard of some ppl able to get some string or wire around the bottom of the boot so they could pull it up.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:02 PM

Thanks, Dave

I ended up just yanking out the stuck sleeves with some slip-joint pliers. One came out clean but the #6 cylinder had a small piece pf the boot ripped off (repaired with silicone). That #6 plug was a bear to get out, too, since the brake booster had it blocked in. I''m glad that''s over!

Jack