Rodeo Talk about Isuzu Rodeo related topics here...

Replaced 3.2 V6.. Started Up Fine.. Then Died Like Out Of Gas

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 02:32 AM
Default Replaced 3.2 V6.. Started Up Fine.. Then Died Like Out Of Gas

Hi everyone, I have a 1995 Isuzu Rodeo 3.2-liter DOHC 24-valve V-6 with 205 hp manual 5 speed trans.

Everything worked perfect on this truck until I got distracted a few weeks back and accidentally took off and towed it while in gear.. "idiot me". Instead of taking the chance and spending a ton on new heads because of ceased up cams and other major probs I caused and it still not run, I just put another Exactly The Same used 3.2-liter DOHC 24-valve V-6 engine in it that I know ran before pulling it from another wrecked manual shift 95 rodeo.

I marked every hose and connection very carefully and put everything back on the new engine just exactly like it came off of the old one.. It all matched up perfectly from the old to new. After I got it all back together, I cranked it over and "Wallah" it fired right up first turn over and sounded great for a few seconds and then it was like it ran out of gas. I had no power in the gas pedal and it died out.

Im thinking once the gas that was left over in the engine burnt up it was not getting anymore from the system for some reason. Now it will turn over and fire and dang near start, but it don't.. the throttle body cable is working right with the floor pedal, Its is getting fire it seems because it tries to start.. It sounds just like a car that is running out of gas when turned over. Is this fuel or electrical? could this be an air lock and can I bleed it off.. is there a fuel pressure relief valve on this 95 model? Is it a bad sensor, fuel pressure regulator, IAC motor, evap system?

I dont think its my fuel pump or filter they were fine before with the other engine, I pulled the lines and turned it over and the fuel is moving steady and hard. This one has me kinda stumped here. I mean it wants to run and all most fires right up..... Any help or ideas on this would really help me.

Thanks.
A Die hard Isuzu Fan

Last edited by tbrwild; 12-18-2010 at 02:49 AM.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:13 PM

Thanks for your sharing. It's useful information

Old 08-18-2012, 05:01 PM
Default Rodeo dies

I have a similar if not the same problem. It will crank just fine, but dies immediately after. If I keep trying to crank it, it continues to die. If I let it sit for a few minutes and try again, it will run fine. If it is not idling correctly, the ac compressor will not kick on, so it obviosly is having an idling problem. I first thought it had a vapor lock, we checked and replaced a bunch of hoses. Now I am thinking it is either the fuel pump or the fuel filter. When it runs, it runs fine. When the problem occurs, it is usually when it is really hot outside and when it has sat for long periods(I have a new vehicle, so sometimes it does not get driven for a few days). I am used to the problem and it never concerns me much, but it is a hassle. Anyone found how to correct it?

Old 08-20-2012, 08:22 AM

I would think the old motors fuel regulator could be the problem. I also believe the oil presure switch for the gauge sending unit has a fuel shut down if oil pressure drops to low. Might be a dirty connection. I would check the fuel regulator first though. Also might want to try using starting fluid as you crank and if it continues to run that way you know it is fuel and it might run fine after 30-50 seconds of running off of the starting fluid which will purge the fuel system. Best to use 2 people while doing this.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by randomorbit3; 08-20-2012 at 08:25 AM.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:18 PM

so sometimes it does not get driven for a few days). I am used to the problem and it never concerns me much, but it is a hassle. Anyone found how to correct it?

Old 08-25-2012, 12:41 PM

What I found usefull as I own 3 Troopers and a Rodeo and I for some reaon can not drive them all at the same time. So I make sure I start them every few days for 15-20 minutes and that keeps everything primed and the batteries charged. I also try my best to keep the fuel tanks close to full so no moisture condenses.