Rodeo Talk about Isuzu Rodeo related topics here...

oil pump revisited

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 07:16 PM

< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" =text/>
</>
Hi all. I'm trying to decide whether I should preemptively replace my oil pump. I'm in the process of replacing the water pump, and since you've got to pull the whole front of the engine and the timing belt off to do so, it's really not a stretch to go ahead and do the oil pump. But what I'm trying to find out is if it's even necessary or advisable?

Here are the pertinent details: My engine has about 160,000 miles on it. I'm thinking it'susable for another 80 or 90 thousand miles, or roughly 4-5 years. According to ISUZUGURU in https://isuzuforums.com/forum_posts....=1185&amp;KW=o il+pumphe's never heard of an oil pump going bad on a Rodeo (not sure how qualified of a statement that is though). But the fact that the dealership doesn't stock the oil pump might be a good indication (they stock most things, i.e. timing belt, tensioner, water pump, crank seal, etc). The oil pump is $375 and if i'm preemptively replacing something that'll likely go bad before I'm ready to overhaul, it's time/money well spent as far as I'm concerned. Thoughts?

And secondarily, my Haines book says it's ok to replace the oil pump with the engine in place.. I'mpretty sure you have to drop the cross-brace to drop the oil pan and get to everything on the bottom of the engine. Is there anything I should know about that part if I proceed? Safety precautions, etc? The engine is held in place by the engine mounts and by the transmission bell housing, so I figured this is safe to do, but the service manager at the dealership says to pull the engine (I'm thinking that's probably more for convenience and inspection purposes, than out of actual necessity). Also, when I bought this engine (got it used from a salvage yard; the original engine developed a main bearing problem resulting in a thrown rod), the guy who sold it to me said he'd only warrant it if I dropped the oil pan and cleaned out all the caked up crap that gathered by the drain plug. I did so, and I'm sure there were benefits to that. Perhaps this is more viable motivation to drop the oil pan and replace the oil pump?

Thanks in advance!
< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-44";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 03-20-2008, 07:43 PM

I havent heard of an oil pump going bad in these engines either, but my knowledge of them comes from reading different forums. To me it would just be a waste to replace it.

Old 03-21-2008, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

</>
replacing your oil pump in the vehicle is not as easy as you may think unless its 2wd,just because you can see most of it behind the timing cover there is a pick-up tube to deal with and another outlet pipe to get to,yes it is ok to replace your oil pump but why replace somthing that always bathed in oil an never wheres out unless the engine didnt get regular oil changes an has sluged up.even if it has 160k more than likely its still good.thats why the dealer doesnt stock them,because the only time the techs replace them is when they do short block replacement,an why did they do short block jobs ,you may wonder......because the engine was ABUSED FROM LACK OF OIL CHANGES,just like your old engine.this advise is just from my personal experience as a isuzu technician.if its 4wd your in for a job,
< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-44";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 03-21-2008, 08:49 PM

</>
@ISUZUGURU: Thanks for that candid reply. Yes mine is the 2WD '96 Rodeo LS with the 6VD1. Per your previous advice and that of my father, I decided not to replace it. I did preemptively replace the water pump, timing belt and tensioner today. It'll be interesting to see whether the engine makes it to 250,000 miles as I think it will. Perhaps i'll come back and update this thread when it does or doesn't. As an aside, I think i've got the driver's side cam gear cocked about 10 degrees clockwise off the timing mark (it's a long story why). What will be the implication there - perhaps just a loss of power? I noticed no Check Engine light after running it for 30 seconds or so - does that mean I'm in the clear?

Regarding my last engine, you're right - the bearing didn't just mess itself up, it was the result of insufficient oil. But to that end, these Isuzu engines also seem like they've either got a low tolerance for that, or that they burn up oil and/or leak it more than other engines, to the point that several people have told me they had similar issues with their Rodeo. Am I off base here? Are these engines more prone to this, or are their owners just stupid as you've alluded to?

Thanks in advance!
< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-44";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 03-22-2008, 01:37 AM

Isuzus are somewhat prone to oil usage but more of an issue with 2nd gens ('98+ in rodeos). Poor oil drain back design in the pistons. I check my oil every time I fill up with gas which is really the best way. Too many ppl dont check their oil or do the proper maintenance then complain when something happens. When the same thing happens to the next brand they buy they'll complain about it as well.

Old 03-22-2008, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator

</>
hmmm...10 degress off maybe? when ive seen off timing marks it created low power as you mentioned,....rough idle that you just couldnt get rid of,flashing check engine light for constant missfire,lower compression on one bank than the opposite side.if you notice any of these symptoms it would be wise to readjust.drive it for awhile an just see how it feels to you.you may be in the clear.the 96 yrs didnt have much problem with oil consumption,but you did have to stay on top of the oil leaks ,mostly only rear main seal leaks an valve covers,also try using 10w40 or 20/50 with your oil changes,high mileage engine really benefit from it.be aware of your climate zone with 20/50 you dont wont the oil to thick.10/30 with lucas additive is also a good mix.
< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-44";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 03-22-2008, 06:07 PM

</>
Thanks all!

I've not observed any of those symptoms in regards to the cam being off, but i'll give a full report in a week or so when i've run all the 6 month old fuel out and ran Techron through it.