Rodeo Talk about Isuzu Rodeo related topics here...

Key getting locked in ignition

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 03:30 PM
Default Key getting locked in ignition

The white piece above the lock cylinder is the slider I'm referring to. The cable is connected behind it.
The key kept getting stuck in the ignition of my 2002 Isuzu Rodeo. I had to turn it really hard to get it to the off position to remove the key from the cylinder. Eventually it was damaged to the point that turning the key wouldn't start the engine. There was no resistance and the key spun freely in the cylinder. I replaced the lock cylinder but that was not the problem. Through further investigation I discovered that part of the ignition switch broke so the switch wasn't engaging with the lock cylinder. Replaced the ignition switch and realized the key was still getting stuck in the cylinder when trying to turn it to the off position. There is an L shaped slider that sits above the lock cylinder and connects to a cable. Pressing the button on the gear shifter engages the cable to either pull or push the slider to either lock or unlock the key in the cylinder. The part of the cable that connects the the slider is dislodged in a way that allows the slider to lock when pushing the button on the shifter but it's too far back now to push the slider forward to unlock it when putting the vehicle in park. I cannot find any information to tell me what this slider/cable is called so I cannot find the parts to replace it. Does anyone know what this system is called? Right now I have th plastic panel removed from the top of the steering column so I can manually move the slider forward to unlock the key from the cylinder but I would like to get it fixed/working properly. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. There aren't many non-commercial isuzus on the road these days so it's hard to find any information about them. (I bought the car used with no manual and I still haven't figured out where the reservoir for the rear window washer fluid is).

Last edited by Akorpal; 01-07-2018 at 03:33 PM.