Rodeo Talk about Isuzu Rodeo related topics here...

Just bought 93, now have problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 12:46 PM

We just bought a 93 Rodeo V6. When we test drove it it ran fine no CEL only the O2 sensor light, which the mechanic we took it to to look at said these sutomatically came on and we needed to move a screw behind the dash. Otherwise he said it looked good. We also noticed the blinkers werent working, which we thought was just a replaceable fuse gone bad. Now we cant find the fuse, dont yet know if the car will even pass our states emmisions, and the CEL came on halfway home after purchasing the car. THe more we drive the car, the CEL just keeps going on and off. There is no pattern to it. We have no clue what is going on!!!! Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 08-05-2006, 04:28 AM

well. its too old to be one of those automatic-once-it-hits-this-many-miles type deal.

i'd take it to the isuzu dealer & have them check your ecu

Old 08-05-2006, 05:21 AM

Check the OBD to see what is causing the CEL to come on. Yours is an OBD I system so the code readers wont work. You have to fiind the terminals and short them together to get the CEL light to flash the code. Not positive where the terminals are in yours, I've heard behind the drivers side kick panel and also under the center consol. I think most have been behind the kick panel.

I dont know about your state but here in colorado its illegal to sell a car that wont pass emissions unless the buyer signs a waiver. If there is a reasonable chance of proving the problem was existing and the previous owner/ dealer reset to computer to sell it then they would be responsible for the repairs.

Here is the procedure..

The diagnostic connector on your truck is in the console between the
seats (or behind the drivers side kick panel). Run a short jumper wire between terminal A (ground) and B (the
diagnostic terminal). Turn on the ignition, but don't start the engine.
The check engine light will flash once, followed by a short pause, then
flash twice. This is a code 12, which indicates that the computer's
diagnostic mode is running. Code 12 will repeat a total of three times,
followed by any error trouble codes, each repeated three times,
followed by a code 12 three more times. If there are no codes, 12 will
flash continuously until you shut the ignition switch off.

</span>

Edited by: Gizmo42

Old 08-06-2006, 10:05 PM

This may be a stupid question but what is the ecu. And we will try to read the code. DOes the CEL have to be on in order for us to find it, casue it is only on while we drive.

Old 08-07-2006, 12:09 AM

ECU = Engine Control Unit

Its the main computer and what turns on the CEL when there is a problem.

The light doesnt always need to be on to get the code. It should store the code until it goes through a certain number of check cycles without a problem.

Old 01-12-2007, 12:54 PM

When I first got mine, when I would drive the engine light would come on, then shut off when I stopped. It turned out to be the gas cap wasn't tight. Also, don't overfill, once it stops, pull out or it will come on then too.