Rodeo Talk about Isuzu Rodeo related topics here...

How to change Axles??

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 11:59 AM

I have a 98 Rodeo V6 4x4 and when I put it in 4wd the front axles are clicking. How do I go about changing the axles?? Are they like any other axle, just pull them out or is there a clip that holds them in place?? If so how do I get at the clip?? Thanks..

Old 10-09-2008, 12:30 AM

HERE is a write up on changing the boots. Same procedure for replacing the cv half shafts. Unless the inner cup (green housing on the differential side) is also bad. If that happens then the whole front axle assembly has to be dropped and disassembled to get to the clip on the inside of the diff that holds that cup on. Not a fun job if that needs done. You can buy the half shafts with or without that cup.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:53 AM

Ok, I was also told now that you could put a pry bar on each side of the inside cup and pry out the axle. Is that true aswell, because I was trying to yesterday and it seems that it would ruin your bearing and seal inside that cup on the axle??

Old 10-09-2008, 10:29 PM

NO!

All that will do is frustrate you at best, break the cup or axle at worst. The only way to remove the inner cup is to drop the entire axle and disassemble it to remove the circlip inside that is holding the cup in place. The only way to remove the half shaft from the cup is to remove the boot, then remove the wire clip holding it in place. First you need to take apart everything needed at the other end to get enough slack to slide the shaft out.

Old 10-25-2008, 08:58 AM

I''ve done mine before. You can try the CV boots like they say if it''s the inner. IMHO, while you''re at it, just take care of both...you''ll regret it if you don''t because if the inner is bad, chances are that the outter is not far.

After trying more than I should have (i.e. dropping front diff to remove entire axle, trying to machine press the inner bearing off so the plates can be removed, etc.) I just bought this:

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...?MfrCode=A1C&a mp;MfrPartNumber=661351S&PartType=945&PTSe t=A

The inner housing can stay entact. You don''t have to drop the front diff. Just cleanout the old grease and apply new grease. Much easier. But there was a time where I would have rather go the cheapest route even if it mean 4 aspirins, 4 weeks, and 4 beers later...one for each of the people I asked for help. :0 Good luck.