Rodeo Talk about Isuzu Rodeo related topics here...

possibly purchasing a rodeo

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 09:21 PM

I use to own a 1992 Rodeo with a 3.1 eng

the one Im looking at is a 1994 and he offered ot to me for $500 as it needs a water pump........is this hard to install by myself...I will go over this with a fine tooth comb is there anything else i should be looking at........any tell tale signs that should warn me not to buy this

Old 09-25-2008, 09:35 PM

Replace the timing belt and tensioner the same time as the water pump. Use OEM belt and tensioner. Do a search for "ticking" on the various isuzu boards and read how to improve/fix that. If it has factory shocks, replace them. Almost anything else is better. Check the rear spring bushings, they are probably due to be replaced.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:06 PM

is it a belt or chain....is this relativley easy.....i mean if I have the manual and a regular assortment of tools, can I do this myself?

he says its the waterpump that needs replacing but i read about other issue overheating this motor......

Old 09-25-2008, 10:08 PM

here is what he said about in the for sale post

original asking price was 900....he said 500 and its mine......iam going to look at it friday and see th body and listen to it

This truck has 100,393 miles on it and brand new brakes all the way round.It has an auto starter for those cold days and leather interior as you can see. Its GREAT IN THE SNOW.It also has an alarm.The reason im selling it for $900 is it needs a water pump and thats $60.I was in an minor accident but i got all the body work done and i had a radiator put in.It overheats due to it needing a water pump so it would have to be towed if purchased.This would be a great car for a mechanic.I also put a new starter in a few months ago

Old 09-26-2008, 06:03 PM

Its a timing belt. The water pump is driven off the timing belt so thats why it just normal to replace both at the same time, dont want to do the work twice. Doesnt say if its the v-6 or 4cyl. Recommended change interval for v6 t-belt is 100k miles. For 4 cyl its around 50k cuz that is an interferance fit engine and if the belt breaks you will need a new engine.

One cause of over heating looks to have been taken care of, radiator. Other things that can cause it is bad or non oem thermostat, or bad fan clutch. Aftermarket t-stats have a smaller opening and have been known to cause over heating problems. Also need to make sure the small hole is facing up.

I havent done t-belt and water pump on a rodeo yet. But those who have said it took around 2 hrs. Plan a day if you''ve never done one before.

Old 10-25-2008, 09:10 AM

I''ve done a timing belt and water pump twice on my 98 Rodeo now, which has the 3.2L. Once on the original motor, and a second time on the new motor I''m swapping in. If you''ve never done a timing belt before, then I''d get help. If you feel confident, pickup a shop manual and make sure you set TDC and keep it there for when you install the belt back on. If you''re not sure what TDC means, then you''ll need help. Nothing''s funner than putting everything back on to find out that you messed up the timing and have to remove and re-install the timing belt again.